Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Windows install snapshot taker?

Hi,

I need to see what an application installs on a host, whether it's files or entries in the registry. There are a bunch of utilities that do this, but which one would you recommend?

Thank you

Frederic Faure
Thursday, September 18, 2003

This has come up before. Unfortunately I can't provide you with a link to the previous discussion but I remember that lots of people recommended the InCtrl 5 utility from PC Magazine.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

http://www.sysinternals.com/

- there is a registry and file monitoring software (free)

na

I use sysdiff from the Windows NT4.0 Resource Kit regularly. Works fine.

sgf

Thx for the tip but...

regmon only seems to display live accesses to the Registry: the log file will be clutered with messages, while I just wish to know which changes were made by an application once it's been installed/uninstalled

InCtrl requires $ubscribing to PcMag to have access to their utilies. I forgot to say that I'd rather use a free utility, if available :-)

I'll try to find MS' sysdiff utility on the web. Thanks everyone :-)

Frederic Faure

Yeah, InCtrl used to be a free download. Unfortunate, that.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

Theoretically the Wise Installer has a system where it "watches" an install and generates a new installer based on what the old installer did.

I don't know how well it works. I'm a bit suspicious because it seems like a "hard" problem... for example, if the old Installer was programmed to install a certain file but only on Windows 95, then if you run the watching program on Windows NT it won't know about that file. But it may be adequate for your needs.

Joel Spolsky

Thx Joel. I'll experiment with sysdiff provided on NT's Resource Kit. Could be good enough.

Frederic Faure

InCtrl 5 is good... and while it's not free, I think it's pretty cheap. It's part of the PC Magazine suite of utilities, and you get a handful of downloads. There are lot of great utilities there, so you'll probably find something you like.

Interestingly, the old license doesn't allow redistribution, or else I'd send you mine. Oddly, for free software, it also said that I could only install it on one computer.

I use NetPerSec all the time, it shows the up & down bandwidth for my computer in a little scrolling chart in my taskbar, or on my desktop.

RoboType is a great macro tool.. type something and it'll replace it with whatever you specify... Someone asked for something to store code snippets in? Well imagine being able to type a few characters and have it replaced by a couple hundred lines of code.. without having to hunt it down, cut and paste it.

Just browse the PC Mag utilities I'm sure you'll find a few other useful things.

Mark T A W .com
Friday, September 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home