Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Oracle turnaround

I recently read  an article that stated that Oracle was failing but turned itself around in the early 90's ending up as the leading database vendor. The article didn't explain who they turned things around. Does anyone know?

Wondering
Wednesday, September 17, 2003

It was Larry Ellison's modest, humble and even-tempered leadership that turned things around.

Clutch Cargo

I bet it was Phil Greenspun teaching the first generation of web geeks that they absolutely, positively had to use Oracle, no matter what.

Joel Spolsky

wasn't Sybase the top dog in the 90's? or DB2?

Prakash S

Wasn't Oracle the "low end" database before SQL Server ate its lunch?

Philo

Philo

Oracle was never "low-end". It was unix only for a long time, I forget exactly when an NT version came out - mid 90's I think.

The low end used to be crap like dBase.

IIRC, the originally Oracle was written for VMS and then it was ported to Unix. Eventually the Unix version became the default environment, with VMS a port.

Do they even do a VMS version anymore (and do more then 10-15 people care)?

RocketJeff

"low end" was in quotes to say "as compared to big iron DB's" - was Oracle a "small iron" alternative to getting a mainframe?

Or did Ellison do the major marketing thing on RDBMS?

I wasn't doing the IT thing then, so I'm going on reverse extrapolation. :)

Philo

Philo

Oracle rode the Internet bubble - hence it did very well in the late nineties.

To their credit, and as far as I am aware, their earnings did not go down after the bubble popped ( past tense of 'pop'?).

Will Oracle turnaround?

Hmm..I gues maybe the article was alluding to if Oracle could be the dominant factor in database as it used to be.

That I am not sure, Microsoft has caught up big-time. IBM is getting cheaper and stabler on Linux and Windows.

And the open source databases are getting better and better...who knows maybe banks will start using MySQL or PostgresQL.

I have a complain: Oracle on Win XP is a major pain. Keeps locking up my computer and draining resources like crazy.

Ram Dass

We're running oracle on W2k, solaris and vms. Oracle on VMS is called Oracle RDB and is still around. http://www.oracle.com/rdb/index.html?content.html

I would assume there are other customers out there who rely on VMS and so therefore rely on oracle rdb.

ko

Except that "Oracle RDB" isn't based on Oracle - it's the RDB database that Oracle bought. I remember when RDB was major competition to Oracle on VMS...

RocketJeff
Thursday, September 18, 2003

People were saying that the turn around hero was Ray Lane. Who was kicked out by Larry later.

Siyan

Ingres?

pdq

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home