Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

interviews but no jobs

2 years experience, getting interviews but no jobs.
If anyone is hiring let me know....
Development experience in 3D graphics,simulations and data mining.

SR
Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Read a book on job interviews - they are very helpful.

Discuss your last interview, in detail, with a friend who knows more about passing interviews than you do.

Call somebody who seemed to want to hire you in the interview, and ask them why they didn't hire you, and if they can give you some tips on future interviews.

George Koenig

It's my impression that many human resource dept.s post vacant positions which don't exist simply because they need something to do - and justify their own jobs.

Still Unemployed

Find a way to talk to someone not in HR, who can understand your skill set and the value you can add to the organization.  Once someone on the inside wants you there, they can see to it that the proper steps happen to get you in.

Any way you can bypass any part of the HR process is a good thing.

Good luck.

Jim Rankin

The posting of bogus jobs is rampant. I've seen some easily fillable jobs posted for more than 6 months.

Maybe they do it not only to keep HR busy, but to appear prosperous.

Clutch Cargo

Don't forget that sometimes companies post fake jobs as part of a salary survey.

Anonymous

The salary survey comment is right on the money.

If you want a job, I have one word for you...plastics...er, I mean, network. Get good at networking with people in your industry, and you can reach a point where the interview is a mere formality. They're just bringing you in to make sure you wash behind your ears, etc...

Schmoozer
Wednesday, September 17, 2003

They can't *all* be fake jobs.

Folk will list many fake jobs, but I am yet to meet someone (non recruitment co) who will interview for a role that does not exist. It is just too time consuming to do for the fun of it.

Like an earlier poster said, find a good book on interviewing. Have mock interviews. A lot of universities/job centres will give mock interviews with thorough feedback returned.

Tapiwa

It's very hard to get feedback on why you got an interview, but not the job.

I'd say just interview as much as you can, and stay focused. Keep asking, "Am I saying the right things to get this job?"

Good luck!

Portabella

I just hate doing this. If other people interview well, that makes it that much harder for me to find a job. I do feel sorry for you, so I will share my favorite book on interviewing.  :)

I swear this is the how-to for preparing for your interview. If you are not spending at least a few hours preparing for an interview, then don't bother going.

Title: 60 Seconds & You're Hired
Author: Robin Ryan
ISBN: 0140289038

m

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home