Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

So this is where the job market is heading!

You know the job market has hit rock bottom when you see a posting for a Janitorial/Software position:

http://portland.craigslist.org/sof/16251569.html

Nick
Tuesday, September 16, 2003

That's too funny.  Time to start studying for my real estate license.

> Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.

Looks like you're in trouble.

Lee

Hmmm..

Old school.  Tiny companies have been doing that one for years.  Except that instead of "Janitor", it's "Office Assistant".  And it's generally somebody's niece, nephiew, neighbor boy, or whatever.  They need a little bit of computer work and a little bit of grunt work too. 

Maybe there's not as many CS-major freshmen as there used to be or something....

Flamebait Sr.

Must drive the unions abolutely nuts.

doobius

Which unions?

www.marktaw.com

The janitorial unions. $9.50/hr is an insult. A qualified union janitor makes $22/hr easily in Oregon. $9.50 isn't near enough to live on in Portland.

Tony Chang

On the other hand a software engineer would be lucky to make that much in Portland. Funny thing is you can't outsource janitorial services overseas.

Tony Chang

All unions. Imagine such a broad job description. That can't be allowed. Just one of those should get a living wage.

doobius
Wednesday, September 17, 2003

>Which unions?<

Duh... the International Brotherhood of Jazz Dancers, Pastry Chefs, and Nuclear Technicians.  <g>

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/9F15.html

Robert Jacobson

Dental Plan
Lisa needs braces.

Matthew Lock

For the love of god, could we just get hit by an asteroid now? Please?

Marc

> Must drive the unions abolutely nuts.

Why? The worker's not in an occupation covered by an agreement. They've got much more effective things to do.

That job posting isn't so far off. I've held that job a few times myself. They aren't exactly looking for a programmer, just somebody to do some light data entry and sweep the floors.

Come to think of it, being self employed, I have the job description too.  Except I'm not sure that my wages are that good, and I know I don't have a dental plan.

Clay Dowling

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home