Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What are your thoughts on SAP

Hi, I used to do coldfusion, asp, vb, php etc and now I am a techno-functional SAP consultant (don't ask).

I feel like such a sellout for some reason. Sometimes I see ppl doing asp/php and wonder if I would be happier doing it.

What are your thoughts on gorilla companies like SAP and their software?

- caleb

caleb
Tuesday, September 16, 2003

> coldfusion, asp, vb, etc...

Some people would say you sold out long ago.

Not saying you did, but there will always be some C kernel hacker pointing a finger at you. SAP isn't so bad, I've seen some installations that were pretty neat. They actually met the customers needs.

Go on, do good at your job, hold your head up high, and don't kick small puppies.

Spam

"What are your thoughts on gorilla companies like SAP and their software?"

I don't feel my opinion or feelings toward SAP should matter.  If customers are happy with whatever ERP package they have purchased then more power to them.

Selfish reason #1 for disliking ERP packages

They seem to me to be the equivalent of mainframe software packages that were produced and sold during the 1970s and 1980s.  While these packages have many selling points, the only one that scares me goes something like this, "You don't need an army of programmers to develop and maintain equivalent in-house type of software systems".  I am always going to dislike anything that has the potential to threaten my livelihood.

More practical objection #1

They require companies to change the way they do business.  Although ERP packages can be customized some people feel that software should not dictate how you run your business.

One Programmer's Opinion

caleb: I know how you feel as I work with 20 year C programmers. I always thought they looked down on what I do (in Perl, CF, ASP, T-SQL, etc.). At the end of the day it comes down to customer satisfaction. I stopped caring once I figured out that our job is providing solutions at a minimal cost. Making X become Y is not more fulfilling if you spend six months building a C program that would have taken you two months in Perl.

As far as selling out – If you get paid by a for-profit company or individual, you have sold out. Congratulations! :)

m

These ERP systems may not require an army of programmers to develop, but they do require an army of consultants and 18 months to implement.

Ken

Ken wrote, "These ERP systems may not require an army of programmers to develop, but they do require an army of consultants and 18 months to implement. "

True, but I believe the same thing can be said about almost any type of complex software system that someone wants to build.

The point I was trying to make is that I don't have any ERP work experience on my resume and therefore see these complex and wide reaching software packages as a threat. The threat being nobody is going to hire me to work on one of these projects.  ;-)

Back in the late 1990s, most companies paid at least $150 an hour for a decent ABAP programmer.  I don't pay any attention to this segment of the IT market, so I don't know if the demand for this type of software work has gone down dramatically or not in recent years.

I am pretty sure that in many instances once an ERP package gets implemented, companies are finding that they are spending a lot less money in certain areas.  Of course, I am just speculating here since I haven't read any recent articles that discuss this issue.

One Programmer's Opinion

At the end of the day it's not about how much money you make blah blah... but rather if you're happy with what you're doing.

But then again, a lot of people would be happy to just have a job these days...

caleb
Thursday, September 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home