Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

testing automation tool for web applications

Hi,

I'm looking for a testing automation tool for our online store testing. The tool should allow testers to write testing script even before the store is functioning. It should be stable enough that the change of look-and-feel won't break the test scripts, and it should handle all kinds of IE specific tabs or DHTML objects. Most of the commercial products rely on record&play mechanism and the scripting functions depends on too many unrelated details of how web page is parsed. HTTPUnit is good in the sense that it supports a straighforward way of manipulating HTML objects, but it miserably fails to support complicated JavaScript and DHTML objects.

So do you guys know any other tool that supports what I want? Basically, I hope the tool can provide testers with a set of simple APIs that function at page level. All the irrelevant details will be hidden away from testers. For example, if I want to click a link, I can just call some API like currentPage.clickLinkWithContent("Add to shopping cart"), regardless how the link is implemented. That is, I need a browser that can be completely controlled through APIs. Also, I should be able to access to the underlying object models at anytime easily. For example, a function getElementById(String id) should be available.

Such tool should be relatively easy to implement since one can simply wrap up the IE controls and expose necessary functions. I'm just wondering why no one seems have done it. :-)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Web Tester
Monday, September 15, 2003

"Such tool should be relatively easy to implement since one can simply wrap up the IE controls and expose necessary functions. I'm just wondering why no one seems have done it."

Oh sure, writing such a tool is easy, but testing it? Forget about it!  :D

m

Try http://www.junit.org/news/extension/web/index.htm

Evgeny Goldin

I use perl to automate IE through COM, which ends up being a kind of "remote control" browser.

Works pretty well. If you don't like perl you can use vbscript instead.

Matthew Lock

You might look at

http://www.pushtotest.com/ptt

I've never used it (I have not had time to write any automated tests for our web stuff yet), but it looks like it's a possibility. The language used is apparently 'Jython', which looks to be a hybrid of Java and Python (two great tastes that go great together? Or not?)

The TestMaker component seems to be free, so with support available.

Michael Kohne
Tuesday, September 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home