Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

General Alexander Haig

Today I received a message from a lady claiming that she represents General Alexander Haig's television show and wanted to pre-qualify me for appearing on the show.

I first had the same message about 10 days ago.

Now, first of all, I am flattered. Aside from my Mum and Dad, I always thought I would be famous ;)

Back to business - they must have got my name and number from a consultancy I created between jobs two years ago. They used the name of my old consultancy in the message. This message was placed with my cell - which is registered in my name.

I was wondering if others have received the same call as I did. Does the 'pre-qualifying' process mean that I have to pay $$$? I am sure that there is a catch and I am wondering if the caller is really representing General Alexander Haig.  I am sure he must have better caliber of potential interviewees than me.

Who would be remotely interested in watching a television interview with me? - aside, of course, from my Mum and Dad.

Ram Dass
Monday, September 15, 2003

And here I thought General Haig was a character on Babylon 5...

Sam Livingston-Gray

I was pre-disapproved for a Platinum Mastercard.  Probably not the same thing.

B#

No, Haig is legit. He was in Pres. Nixon's cabinet way back in the day. His show airs on PBS in my area and it's a panel discussion of geopolictical aspects of current business trends. In general (pun intended) it's a crashing bore.

His staff is probably casting about for "experts" in a certain niche field of e-business and no doubt your name popped up from a google search on that topic or some such.

Probably what they want to do is interview you to see if you are not only a true expert in that field, but also lucid and pro-business, i.e. not of the Erik S Raymond persuasion.

old_timer

"He was in Pres. Nixon's cabinet way back in the day. "

His cabinet days spanned 4 presidents, I believe. I think he was in Nixon's, Ford's, Carter's, and Reagan's. He's best remembered for declaring "I'm in charge here" when Reagan was shot - even though he was something like 5th down the chain of command.

Nick

Yeah, he took a lot of flak for that comment. No one knew for sure wehther he meant he was in charge only right there in that room, at that particular time, or if he thought he had the entire government under his control. The press went for his jugular.

The unfortunate thing is the guy is so old now he doesn't seem to be in charge of his own faculties any longer.  It seems sometimes he loses his train of thought mid-sentence. His show is terribly ponerdous, as are most of his guests. Every now and then he'll get some plasticized marketing type on there. As an interviewer he's unable to cut through the wall of phony buzz words to get any real information or opinion.

old_timer

I believe that there is some sort of scam involving claiming to want your opinion for such or t'other for some TV panel show, usually on PBS.  I can't remember the details, but a previously boss commented how many times she had been hit up by this type of thing.  I don't think we're talking african money transfer type of scam here, but needless to say, at no point did it involve ever being on television.  I'll see if I can get more information, but I'm not sure exactly what terms to google for.

Keith Wright

Haig? isn't he a former polish dictator?

me_in_the_corner

When you reply you may discover that the call or text message incurs a premium rate.

John Ridout
Tuesday, September 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home