Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

speaker phones

why do people use speaker phones to do everything?  i despise hearing people check their voicemail over speaker phone, and to listen to them dial someone's number and let it ring before they pick up when the other party answers. 

if people would turn down the volume it might be better, but i can honestly hear 6+ people doing this at the same time in the morning.  AAAGGHH!!! 

Ok.  Had to get that out of my system.  Thanks.

nathan
Monday, September 15, 2003

To establish their presence?

If nobody could hear them working, how would anybody know they were there?

Impression management, y'know.

Fernanda Stickpot

I feel your pain. It's usually hopeless to tell these people to stop doing what they are doing, since it's their jobs to be on the phone. You will just get the "duh!" look back. The guys doing it here are usually business people.

Speaker phones should be outlawed in the office, unless they are in a conference room. I've seen spontaneous meetings appear in an open office where participants just sit around a desk, and then use speaker phone to call some other party up.

Patrik

Hey, that's the joy of open offices. People keep informed by osmosis.

Without Loud Howard yelling "DID I TELL YOU ABOUT MY CYST?" it would be so much harder to get to know your colleagues on a personal level.

Fernanda Stickpot

Personally, I love speakerphones. Usually the guy screaming on the speakerphone is also the most clueless in the office, so you tend to overhear the funniest things...

Rob VH

I once worked in an open plan office where someone insisted on condcting telephone conferences there on his speakerphone. I left.

Next time he is in a meeting, just walk over and loudly announce something like "Hey Chris, I found a great article that might help you with those hemorrhoids you were complaining about. Should get you back in action at the Leather Shaft in no time".

Repeat with slight variations until the cluebat hits.

Just me (Sir to you)

Or just have your friends call up clueless-speakerphone-user's phone and leave fun messages.  Potentially more fun, but is harder to trace back to you.

Flamebait Sr.

Oh my God, that's the perfect solution!

Image some business type getting a voicemail from a "girlfriend" crying very, very loudly over the speakerphone about all the bruises he left! Or a message from "Child Protective Services" calling to schedule his new electronic tether!

The possibilities are endless...

Grumpy Old-Timer

Hire one of those phone sex people to call and tell him what a naughty boy he's been. Preferrably with a German accent. Just try to not crack up when he checks his voice mail. Maybe shove your tie in your mouth to muffle the laughter.

www.marktaw.com

I work near one of those idiots...

This moron uses speakerphone for *everything*. I'm a contractor so I really can't rock the boat, but I just want to to smack the ever-loving bejesus outta this blowhard.

He loves to hear himself talk..yak yak yak yak. And to make it worse, he is one of those types whose voice carries 3 miles indoors.

I just want to go up to these maroon and ask him if he has even the slightest clue about courtesy or respect! Then pummel him half to death. With a spoon.

Ok..I feel better.

I Ain't Skared

i think it's an interesting correlation that the most egregious user of the speaker phone also says, "liberry" instead of "library."

nathan
Tuesday, September 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home