Interesting article on making of Oracle's Latest Database

http://otn.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/03-sep/o53making10g.html

cocoa developer for mac
Sunday, September 14, 2003

Interesting one. Thanks for sharing.

BillyBill

Maybe is just me but I fail to see the interesting part here. It looks like
a marketing press release with a lot a hype words describing the same process any other developer team follows every day.

The only part raising eyebrows is the one that specifies a developer allocates only 25% of time to coding which kind of implies they do not have specialized QA teams.

coresi

The article basically has a body count.

Li-fan Chen

We have a bunch of Oracle 8/9 installations over here. Both versions still have serious bugs not adressed by any patch/update/hotfix/whatever.

Oracle, please stop releasing new versions until you've fixed your previous ones!

Johnny Bravo

I am with Coresi on this one. Looks like a glorified press release. The sort that you would expect in mags read by MIS students.

Classic quote "Another major product initiative came directly from Oracle Chairman and CEO Larry Ellison, who thought customers relied too heavily on third-party software to run their Oracle database. "

Duh, anyone who has used oracle could have told them that.

Also something in there about Beta testing usually being done after Alpha testing...

Tapiwa

Johnny Bravo, why not share some of the Oracle "bugs" you have mentioned a couple of times.

HeWhoMustBeConfused

not sure about Johnny's bugs, but Oracle installation on linux a couple of years ago was like an excorcism.

if they improved that, then I am a happy man. Never had bugs with Oracle on production machines.

Tapiwa

The line "We're able to be so creative in this stage because we have the industry's most stable database kernel," pretty much sums up who wrote this article.

Craig
Monday, September 15, 2003

Well you shouldn't be surprised that it reads like an Oracle advert, considering it's an article from the Oracle magazine!

And if someone senior in Microsoft gave the quote that Ellison gave, then this thread would be full of talk about vendor lock-in and world domination etc.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

Explain the following part to me...

---
Kumar explains how the development grid increased productivity: "If I change my code, I might have to run it through 250 hours of testing before I can check it into the source control system," he says. "In the old days, I'd have to tie up my workstation. Now, I just send the test request to the development grid, which takes that 250 hours of testing and breaks it down into 100-plus streams. If 100 machines are available in the server farm, the tests will run simultaneously on those 100 machines. So, instead of waiting for 250 hours, I could potentially get the test results back in a couple of hours. The server farm is a cost-effective, shared entity that is being fully utilized. It's not lying idle in someone's office or cube."
----

Doesn't this work if only a few developers test at the same time? Isn't it more likely that majority will try to test around the same times (lunch, before leaving, etc.)?  In which case the end result would be the same? Remember, the 100 machines in the grid ARE the developers machines.

????

AEB

AEB,

well, according to the sidebar:
"Developer locations: Redwood Shores, California; Portland, Oregon; Nashua, New Hampshire; Burlington, Massachusetts; Raleigh, North Carolina; Ottawa and Montreal, Canada; Bangalore, India; Beijing and Shenzhen, China; Reading, U.K., and Melbourne, Australia. This allows development to go on 24 hours a day."

Now here is a nice excuse for offshore outsourcing: "It allows us to use our developer machines more fully" ;-)

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, September 16, 2003

I have encountered pretty serious bugs in oracle (previous versions - havent yet worked on 10g).
In particular, RAC and the rest of the clustering technology is totally crap and should not be trusted.
And so is large part of their XML support.
If somebody wants more details I can start a separate thread on my experiences with Oracle.

Tarun Upadhyay
Saturday, September 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home