Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Do home users use Outlook?

With my current project, I have planned to add integration to Outlook so that my product's "reminders" are put into Outlook's calendar.

Now, this would be a great feature for me, because I have Outlook on my home computer (thanks to borrowing *cough* the Office CDs from work).  I know that most home computers (assuming Windows here) come with Outlook Express installed, but does your regular user have Outlook?  Is there any way to get some estimate of how many people use it?

David
Saturday, September 13, 2003

For general users, nearly zero. The people who use Outlook at home are generally power users, in my experience.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

That's kind of what I expected, although it's more of a hunch than experience.

Is there some other calendar program that home users use?  For me, I really only use Outlook's calendar at work and then sync it to my Palm.

David

My Dell came with Outlook installed, I'm assuming as part of the standard Office option.  I would guess from this that any home user with Office would have Outlook as well.  Not sure how many of those actually use it though.

SomeBody
Sunday, September 14, 2003

Probably power users and people who got computers and don't know how to use it... most ISP's will explain how to set up their email programs in outlook, and most people who have someone set up their mail program will have outlook set up.

So my guess is it's polarized between power users and the technology ignorant.. some sort of inverted bell curve. The middle people probably use web mail or think they're cool and want to avoid viruses and find other mail programs.

Mark TAW (.com)

If Office is pre-installed it will set Outlook as the default mail client.

People who use Outlook at the office will often use it at home if they need to synch.

Most home users won't be using another calendar program.

Check up what comes in MS Works though, and if you are selling to home users in the UK, check up what comes with Lotus Millenium Smart Suite, or Corel Word Perfect Suite as vast numbers of these are bundled with mail order PC's (the biggest outlet for PC's in the UK)

Stephen Jones

My only electronic calendar is through my Sony Clie (Palm OS software). I have MS Office 2000 pro at home but I don't have Outlook installed. All I need for email is Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird.

At work it's a different story....

Chi Lambda

Well, I use it everyday as my university is using Microsoft Exchange Server. Most of the times I am using Microsoft Outlook, however sometimes I am using "Outlook Webmail".

In my opinion, it is a good product. I installed it in my home pc and my notebook. Also all the Pcs in library have that.

Richard Sunarto

I am also using the calendar and remainder functions. They are very useful indeed, for my own class schedule, assignment, and exam.

The campus "global addressbook" is very powerful as I can send any mail to any of my campus friends.

Well, I am a home user. :-)

Richard Sunarto

It's worth pointing out that most PCs (especially low end PCs typically used in homes) do not come with Office. If they come with a bundled office suite, it'll be Works.

The likelihood is much, much higher that people will be using web mail or Outlook Express for their e-mail, and probably nothing for calendaring.

Oddly enough, my wife (a power user) uses both Outlook and xReminder Pro for reminders. The work stuff goes into Outlook, because it gets sync'd to her Pocket PC, and the home stuff goes into xReminder.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

Dell bundle works, but pretty well nobody else in the UK does  - after all why pay for something that is worse than what you can get for free,  and much worse than Smart Suite or Word Perfect Suite.

I don;t know what the situation in Europe is.

Remember a lot of people buy the educational version of Office - you can get one as long as you have a kid of school age, or a student, in the family. an smaller number depeniding on the country, buy an OEM version, plenty make copies of the version they use at work (which was within the license terms for many users of Office), and of course there are those that simply buy a pirated version.

If you are going to link with a scheduler program than you might as well choose Outlook as there is no single alterntative. You could of course consideri bundling a freeware scheduler, and offering the choice.

Stephen Jones

All the power users I know use anything but Outlook.

As for Exchange, ISPs are starting to block prot 135:

http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2003/09/12.html#a795

fool for python

Around here:

Home users and people who are barely computer-literate usually use either webmail or Outlook Express.

Power users, programmers, admins avoid Outlook Express like a plague. The early versions had lots and lots of bugs and vulnerabilities.

Also, Outlook Express is not feature rich.

Some power users use Outlook, usually if they need the workgroup features.

Most of the power users, programmers, admins use alternate e-mail clients.

I have tested a lot of e-mail clients, and I consider both The Bat! and Poco Mail to be excellent, outstanding e-mail clients.

The Bat!    http://www.ritlabs.com/

Poco Mail    http://www.pocomail.com/

Jed Knight

People with PocketPC based PDAs based at home will most likely use Outlook because it's there, free, and can hold their calendar.  But they may not actually use the email part of it.

People with PalmOS based PDAs often use Palm Desktop.

Otherwise, anybody's guess.

Flamebait Sr.

I'm currently having "issues" with The Bat!
I've been using it for a while, and overall I'm pretty happy with it, with two major and one minor exception:
1) You can't filter on custom headers. This kills a lot of spam-trapping capabilities
2) It's written in Delphi, and the message editing window has that "full of spaces" -style editing. Click anywhere in the window and that's where your cursor goes, not to the end of the line like most Windows apps these days.
In addition, if you edit text after you've typed it, it doesn't reflow, which is annoying as hell.

3) They just released a new version, but there's no sign of what's new in it, despite requests on the message boards for a changelog. Very bad form, IMO.

Philo

Philo

I am a fan of The Bat! e-mail client located at http://www.ritlabs.com/ , which I have been using for a very long time.

I'm not affiliated with them, but I'm a huge fan.

> 2) It's written in Delphi, and the message
> editing window has that "full of spaces" -style
> editing.

Philo, there is no connection between these things.

They wrote their own editor.

The editing components in Delphi don't do this! They don't even have a setting to do this.

The Bat! has a message editor which is completely custom written - they call it MicroStar.

The Bat! 2.0 gives you the choice between their old editor (MicroStar), the Windows standard editor, and a HTML editor.

> In addition, if you edit text after you've typed
> it, it doesn't reflow, which is annoying as hell.

There is a checkbox in the editor preferences which does what you need. Just enable autoformatting in the bat's editor, and it will be ok.

Yes, The Bat! has some disadvantages. But I belive their advantages (for example: message quoting done right, message quote reformating with ALT+L or CTRL+L, speed and reliability, you can do lots of things Outlook won't let you, etc) far outweight the disadvantages!

About them not offering a change log: they did offer a very detailed changelog for versions 1.x.

Version 2.x is actually the first version where they don't have a change log.

Please keep in mind that they are a small company.

I would rather have them spend all the time coding on improving The Bat! 2.0, than writing change logs.

Also, over the years of using The Bat!, I have noticed one thing: their message base is EXTREMELY reliable, even for a very large number of messages. It never becomes invalid, even if the computer locks, etc.

Ted Thix
Monday, September 15, 2003

I love how this became a Bat discussion rather than address the original post.

The overwhelming majority of home users use webmail (Yahoo, Hotmail), AOL, or Outlook Express. From a marketing standpoint, it would be foolish to consider anything else.

BTW, Outlook Express currently works great, I haven't had an issue with it in years (and I'm a _power_ user), and the only calendar I need is on the side of my fridge.

StickyWicket

The problem with Outlook Express is/was that you can't delete attachments to messages as you can in Outlook.

After a few years your email store gets so blioeated that it becomes a compelling reasion to change.

Stephen Jones

Yeah, it got sidetracked for a bit there, but I think I got what I was looking for, which was a confirmation that Outlook use (particurly Outlook Calendar) is rare at home.

So, I'll push it off a version or two (or never, depending on how things go).

Thanks.

David

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home