Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What's your latest project?

Hi people,

So, what are you guys working on these days?

I'm working on a .NET-based errand scheduling system for a Fortune 500 company. Will post the demo URL as soon as its up & running!

BillyBill
Saturday, September 13, 2003

I'm currently hammering out an XML based transaction protocol for transferring large amounts of data over three networks [IP, Telephony, and a paging system.]

In addition, I'm designing and implementing a process for producing a customer report that merchanidizes this.

Fun stuff.

Dustin Alexander

We are adding new enhanced modules in our e-Commerce solution for not a Fortune 500 company. :-)

Evgeny Gesin /Javadesk/

Just started on a complete redesign of www.CoffeeGeek.com -- first complete redesign after 2 years.  Design is done; now the coding begins.

Developing various small applications for the SonyEricsson P800 smartphone (http://www.sonyericsson.com/p800).  It's the Symbian OS -- a very different and interesting platform.

Almost Anonymous

I'm writing a POS system in some language you've probably never heard of.

somebody please shoot me now

I wish I knew ...

Alyosha`

I'm forwarding emails between my boss and a consultant

na

Man, but reading "POS System" *always* makes me laugh...

Philo

Philo

My latest project is an experiment to see how long I can get away with surfing sites like this before they fire me.

6 months and counting....

retired and loving it

Software to control and coordinate patient testing via some custom build audiological testing hardware. Configure the hardware, run a test, store the results and present them to an audiological clinicial for analysis.

Pardon? You'll HAVE TO SPEAK UP A BIT

Reading the Sunday job ads, emailing my resume, talking friends into taking my resume and forwarding to anyone who might be interested, posting my resume on job boards, searching job boards...trying to become employed.

Tomorrow I'll head off to the Embedded Systems Conference.  It's not a job fair but there will be a lot of employed people there and I am hoping it's contagious.  If not, at least there are a lot of good seminars and visiting Boston should be fun.

mackinac

My current project is to train my two Indian replacements. I hope it is over budget and takes twice as long.

m

Developing a computer language.

Bill Rayer
Sunday, September 14, 2003

I've recently contributed some patches to the Subversion version control system, and worked on various Perl CPAN modules. I also worked on some essays and on a version control comparison. I also interviewed a 77-years old hacker I'm acquainted with and been polishing this interview.

Finally, I began translating ESR's Homesteading the Noosphere to Hebrew.

You can read more about what I have been doing in my weblog:

http://www.advogato.org/person/shlomif/

Shlomi Fish

I'm working on a J2EE integration framework for legacy software.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

Working on a Invoice & Inventory system using VB6 and Access. Taking longer then expected, though.

suhu

They always do.
I'm trying to finish refactoring an invoice document tracking system - last few requirements put my original design past the point of no return on the Ball of Mud scale, so I've rebuilt it from the inside out.

Of course, my boss is fuming that it's taken me two days longer than he estimated. Never mind that I've cleared a dozen bugs and added a half-dozen features he really wanted. [sigh]

Oh, and it's faster and uses less memory, too.

Philo

Philo
Monday, September 15, 2003

Job hunting

Tapiwa

Rewriting some VB objects (for an ecommerce link) so you can script them from VBScript also adding a pile of useful features we missed on the first pass.
The way VBScript handles objects with strongly typed non default interfaces makes me want to barf, I've found a "kludge" but it then means you can't debug it, so if the bugs only there when called from VBScript you have to resort to logfiles / message boxes and reading the event log. I've spent a lot of time recently deleting interfaces out of the registry.
Arrrggghhh I want to kill the JScript/VBScript designer who thought a typeless language was a good idea....
BTW this all goes away if we could use .NET but the braindead client wants to use plain old ASP pages....

Peter Ibbotson

Yes, job hunting. 

Suddenly employed impared

http://homepage.mac.com/jimbokun/Excelsior.html

Jim Rankin

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home