Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

IP rights again -demos

continuing from the previous thread, some lawyers have said it's okay to demo it, without reveling any source.
So how many people say demoing software developed for a company is illegal?

Anon
Saturday, September 13, 2003

"So how many people say demoing software developed for a company is illegal?"

You use the word illegal, as though some criminal law is being violated. I can't believe any respectable lawyer would make a blanket statement like "it's always okay to show demos of software". It completely depends on the nature of the product and the type of contract you signed with your employer.

Find a better lawyer, one who's interested in answering specific questions instead of making sweeping generalizations.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

From your last thread, and I still think this is more black than gray.

http://www.lawnotes.com/cpyright/copr_faq.html#Ownership

Can Just Running a Computer Program Be a Copyright Infringement?
A: Yes, at least under present law.

Anyone who runs a program on a computer necessarily makes a copy of the program (perhaps in pieces) in the random-access memory (RAM) of the computer. Several courts have held that if the person running the program does not have authorization to make such a copy, the result is an infringement of the copyright in the program.

Also look at the other FAQs, in the sidebar, as they may also apply.   

As for the lawyers who said "go ahead" are they willing to defend you pro bono if you get sued? 

--- "If it weren't for lawyers what would lawyers do all day?"

MSHack

Are you just bored and wanting to start threads?

Who cares what we think?  If you trust "some lawyers" then go for it.

I think you're just making this up, so I won't waste any more time on it.

Anon,

First of all, there wasn't a single lawyer in the previous thread who said it was OK to show it.  If you're interpreting the previous thread as legal advice that it's OK to go ahead, that's a gross misunderstanding.  Nothing in that thread constitutes legal advice, and many people told you instead to contact a lawyer to get real legal advice. 

If you mean that you've actually consulted with other lawyers and they've give you a formal legal opinion that it's OK, that's another matter.  I'm skeptical that you actually have though.

Second of all, why are you (again) asking non-attorneys for their opinions about the legality of demoing this software?  If you want a legal opinion, you have to consult an attorney in your state or jurisdiction.  (It's not clear to me whether you work in the US.)

This is not legal advice, but any competent attorney will tell you that doing what you want to do exposes you to potential legal liability for violation of copyright and trade secrets.  How great that risk is depends on what your IP agreement says and and your jurisdiction's specific laws.  That's why you need to consult with an attorney in your area to get accurate legal advice.

Robert Jacobson

Anon, people demo software all the time.  A lot of attorneys might not know this. An attorney can charge you $1,000 and tell you it's illegal, but that's not really the adive you want. You want expert advice.

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home