Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Here we go again

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-039.asp

Be carefull:  these are new vulnerabilities, and since they apparently can be exploited by easy modifications of MSBlaster or Nachi ... do we have hours or days this time? I'm betting it won't be weeks.

http://isc.sans.org/presentations/MS03-039.pdf

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, September 11, 2003

I had to laugh yesterday when I discovered that. I was in the middle of creating a patch disk for our Windows NT4.0 Embedded product to add MS's security patches up through MSBlaster. Oops! one more to include.

Will I finish before the next comes out?

sgf

Based on past performance - no, you won't be done...

RocketJeff

All of our boxes are patched already.

Anonymous

Where can I get this... oh wait! Nevermind, I have a Mac.

:-)

I pitty you Windows users. Probably not your choice.

johnson

It's a pity your Mac doesn't have a spell checker.

Big Johnson

Given my past experiences with Macs, I think I'd rather take a Windows machine with a virus. 

SomeBody

Wish granted.

Master Blaster

Would guys prefer for Microsoft to find the vunerabilites and patch them, or just ignore them until a virus comes out?

Every time they issue a patch there is more moaning and wailing about how they don't put enough money into security. Or, how windows is somehow inherently insecure.

Sheesh.

pdq

And, Johnson, if everyone used a mac, you'd be having patches every week too. Don't think the boys and girls at Apple are any better avoiding exploits in their code then MS is.

pdq

Why not?

not a mac user

MacOS's update system is pretty usable.  As a general guess, one would be justified thinking Mac currently is more secure.  Obviously, it has less cruft since it was made new.  Networking was an early design target, and the FreeBSD core helps.

MacOS isn't overall the usability winner, since Windows had time to catch up, but I think their updating is far more user-friendly, which manifests in higher security.

anon

"Obviously, it has less cruft since it was made new."

Actually, it has less cruft because it's based on BSD, which is quite old.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home