Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Scary...

There's just been a series of Windows ding sounds coming from the computer of the programmer sitting next to me. It turned out he was looking at a website and was clicking on one of those annoying adverts that looks like a Windows dialogue box, trying to close it!

I had to explain to him that it's just an image file contained within the page.

A-Non-E-Mouse
Thursday, September 11, 2003

LOL!
Maybe he has a really strong unix background with no X Windows experience?

RP

Erm...no!

A-Non-E-Mouse

Some of those new pop-up web pages (not what you saw) are dangerous because they really are windows and look just like Windows XP dialog boxes. I'm sure that many home users would be fooled. I think I even had to prevent my wife from clicking on one once.

StickyWicket

is this guy and HTML 'programmer'?

Tapiwa

RP: That was a good one.

When I was in high school I had a friend who knows about the wonders of NeXTStep and Macs and X Window but would not have anything to do with it. Wonder if he is still staring at a dozen 132x60 amber on blacks.

Li-fan Chen

Some of the more malicious ones will done one of three things:

1. Open lots of self opening pop-ups windows.
2. Set your homepage to something else.
3. Install an IE Toolbar (if it suceeds, a dll stuck in your IE basically gives a malicious programmer a heck of a lot more power than you can shake an regedit at)

Li-fan Chen

He's somewhat familiar with web application development. It wasn't a popup window, it was a banner ad at the top of the page.

A-Non-E-Mouse

Internet Explorer toolbars can be uninstalled using Advanced Uninstaller, from http://www.innovative-sol.com/

The program can also get rid of IE plugins.

In Rock

A-Non-E-Mouse: fire the guy

RP

...from a cannon.

"He's somewhat familiar with web application development."

As in, he's heard all three of those words before?  This would make me extremely nervous working with this guy, but perhaps I'm overly paranoid.

Dignified

To be fair to him, he's only been a programmer for a year and a bit.

I just thought it was quite amusing, particularly the fact that he couldn't differentiate between a flat image at the top of a page and a real Windows dialogue box.

A-Non-E-Mouse

I've never associated the ability of a person to use an application with competence.  My daughter can create beatiful web content with some simple tools, yet doesn't know HTML.  A former colleague was an outstanding hardware engineer, yet also a hunt & peck typist.

Someone that doesn't know the difference between the Windows rendered UI and a Web imitation?  Merely sounds naive to me.

shamma-llamma-dingdong

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home