Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Sun, JDK, PATH:A few years later...

I worked in Java as it came out and, back then, you needed to change the PATH variable manually (at least when programming on Windows). Now I made a loooong break and have only read about what's happening in the Java world (to stay in touch with that world) while I worked in VB/VC++. Now I installed JDK 1.4.2_01 (the latest!) to try it and maybe use it in the future (for a project).

Guess what? You still need to manually change the Windows PATH variable and add the path where your latest JDK is to it! I mean... that can't be that hard (JDK is installed using InstallShield - ie. full access to the OS) or am I missing something?

Enjoy
Monday, September 08, 2003

Gotta love changing that PATH variable. Of course, its easier in Win 2K/Xp now that you can access environment variables from the control panel - back in Win 98 I believe this had to be done in autoexec.bat if you wanted the variable to be set everytime. Not to mention the CLASSPATH variable too...

Daniel S

For what it's worth, you have to adjust your path in *nix to get to all the fun stuff. Equal opportunity challenging install.

Messing with the PATH... what more do you expect from Sun.  :)

m

What's annoying is that it seems that the version of the JRE in the registry takes precedence over JAVA_HOME environment variable.    Has anyone else had this problem?

anon

I have 1.4.2 and somehow java.exe ended up in the windows\system32 directory after install...

Scot
Tuesday, September 09, 2003

TBH it frustrates me more when installations do these things for me.

I always thought it would be nice for NT/2000/XP to support symbolic links in the filesystem so the PATH doesn't need to be changed like this, just do a: 'ln -s c:/java/j2sdk-1.4.2/bin/java c:/windows/system32' or something...

Chris Winters

NTFS does support 'junction points' which look like sym links.

You can create them using the junction utility from http://sysinternals.net/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml

Rob Walker

Actually you don't need the junction point bit, I've done it here by adding a partion then joining into the normal tree.
Useful to know about if you want to expand say a database directory without too much messing around, create a new partition, stop the service, copy \program files\SQL to the new drive , rename the old SQL directory, then add the mapping (It's under Control panel / Computer management / Storage / Disk manager / Change drive letter and paths on Win2K), restart the service.
Works well as an easy way to add more space without having to reinstall or change drive letters.

Peter Ibbotson

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home