Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Any free XDrive like services out there anymore?

Any free XDrive like services out there anymore?

Bella
Monday, September 08, 2003

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/On_the_Web/Web_Applications/Virtual_Disk_Drives/Free/

Enjoy

Bella, man... it took me 10 secs to find that link and at least 30 secs for you to write this posting :|

Enjoy

If you set up a free My Yahoo account (my.yahoo.com), you can add a "Briefcase" feature that lets you upload and download files for remote storage.  Not as slick as XDrive, though.

Robert Jacobson

Yea, don't want to hassle with the HTML interface of YHOO. 

Maybe I'll just use a free FTP service.  I can write a DOS script to download/upload my remote FTP folder back and forth before/after making changes.....Just 2 extra clicks...Not the end of the world.

But yea, Xdrive is seamless.

Bella

Maybe this will help http://www.southrivertech.com/products/webdrive/

It lets you map a drive letter to an FTP site.

Damian

Well there's .Mac of course. ;-)

Nate Silva

And streamload, the first link in the results of the Google search pointed out in the first reply to this post, has gone paid from the 17th of March 2003. I had a free streamloader account for the last one year and I had to either abandon it or buy into the new agreement. I opted out.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy

You can create a shortcut or even map a drive letter to your web storage at MSN groups, too.

Big B

In any current Windows release you can create a shortcut in Network Neighbourhood to any FTP source.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, September 09, 2003

The best part about Xdrive that I like, is that I still get spam to the email address I provided to them.

I guess that before you burn the bridges and close your company, you should sell the client data, to cover your vacations.

Some Sam

Doh!  Yes, a free FTP account, and windows network neightborhood functionality will work just swell.  Uhh, what does Xdrive do again?  ;-)

Bella

Why not use one of those USB memory keychain thingies. You don't have the supposed backups on the server, but then you don't have to be online. Just a thought.

m

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home