Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

STQE Magazine

Although promising the magazine raises one question:

1 year subscription: €63,-
2 year subscription: €127,- (= 2 * €63,- + 1)!

Why does a 2 year subscription cost more than 2 one year subscriptions? Isn't it the "usual" thing to do to give some kind of discount if you buy more at once?

Or am I missing something?

Geert-Jan Thomas
Monday, September 08, 2003

63 = 2^6-1
127 = 2^7-1

Martin Dittus

To be accurate...

63 = (2^6)-1
127 = (2^7)-1

:')

Pedantic

eh?  The exponentiation operator has  a higher precedence than the subtraction operator. The parenthesis are redundant.

Ankur

Assuming a positive inflation, isn't the 2 year cheaper, unless the inflation is less than 1 euro a year for a 63 euro charge?

Still though, very curious.

Spam

Only if interest rates are less than the inflation rate. You have the 63 euros sitting around in your bank for a year. Also, you might decide that the magazine is crap and not subscribe anymore.

pdq

Hey now - you can't value that embedded call option with knowing the std dev of the return on STQE.

Ankur

Ever go to the supermarket and see a sign like

Bananas
8 cents each, or
3 for a quarter

(Supermarket margins are so small, they need every edge they can get.)

:)

Eric

Eric Lippert

Renewing for two years instead of one is sometimes considered a "premium" service because you are locking in at the current rate, and you don't have the hassle of renewing...

Now, with respect to supermarket bulk "sales" that are more expensive than buying singly, this is because most people don't do the math. If something is a "club pack", because "bulk" is supposed to have a discount, many people will buy bulk thinking that it's cheaper.  Not to mention how a "sale" sign triggers the buy impulse even if the sale is not good.  Obviously, the pricing can't always do this, or people would catch on.  But unless you check the math for every single purchase, you are likely paying more than you would have to at least once in a while.

Supermarket research :)

Phibian

Ankur no offense but I surely hope I don't have to read any of your code which implicitly depends on operator precedence. :-) Just a best practice as far as I'm concerned.

- Rick

Rick
Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Sure, parenthesis are a best practice, but they still aren't necessary.

Ankur
Tuesday, September 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home