Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Excruciatingly frustrating stupid html question

Hi Guys,

I haven't done much straight html in a while, but no amount of Googling or looking in the books has helped me find the answer to what should be a simple question.

I have a bunch of old html pages. These pages have relative links to other documents within subfolders. I'm putting the index document with the relative links into a frame in a new page used for navigation, etc.

In IE this works as it should (of course). In Netscape/Mozilla, the url's in the pages within the frame are reslvnig relative to the url of the base frameset page, not the page that the link itself is in.

I've tried a number of combinations of ./ and / etc. in front of the relative path, to no avail. I don't want to set an absolute Base Href, since this will be deployed all over. Isn't there a way to do this?

Thanks all,

--Josh

JWA
Monday, September 08, 2003

Ok, to restate the question as a proper question:

Is there a way to construct relative link URLs such that they will resolve correctly in both IE and Netscape when the page is inside of a frame?

--Josh

JWA

Perhaps adding a <base href='whatever'> tag to each of the content pages would help.

Rob Mayoff

I figured it out.

The ASP.NET navigation control that I was using to set the page in the content frame had a \ in the address variable. This the address of the page with the links itself was quite screwy, and while it resolved ok, Moz and Netscape had trouble with the relative urls.

The Base tage has to be absolute, and I needed this to ba a relative solution. Thanks though.

--Josh

JWA

Just add a message:

Netscape, Mozzilla and all derivatives are obsolete browsers, since they were cr#p anyway.

They crash a lot, and are unsuitable for safe computer use.

In order to get a much better browser which doesn't crash every 5 minutes, try Internet Explorer or Opera.

If you want a more fancy, tabbed interface for your browser, try MyIE2 or NetCaptor which work using the excellent reliable Internet Explorer.

Thank you for visiting our pages.

Bake

Mozilla, Firebird, Netscape, Opera and Internet Explorer all work fine with relative urls in frames. The problem is, as you noted, with the ASP control that uses an illegal backslash "\" URL character.

These kind of problems can be easily prevented if you check your pages for valid HTML. I recommend using Firebird with the Checky plugin.

jan Derk

..visiting our pages....?

Simon Lucy

> (...) Mozzilla (...)

Cool!

Ozzy Osbourne has his own version of Mozilla. Shouldn't it be called Ozzylla, though?

;)

Paulo Caetano

jan Derk,

Thanks for the tip about Checky.  That is a pretty slick plugin.  For those interested.. here is the link: 
http://checky.mozdev.org/About/

Seeker

seeker

In Mozilla 1.4+ and MSIE 6.0 backward-slashes are automagically corrected into forward-slashes. Don't know the behavior of the older versions, though.

Johnny Bravo

Don't know what problems the other guy has had with Mozilla or Netscape. I use Netscape 7 and it crashes much, much less than IE, and is ibetter in every respect but one.

Stephen Jones

"They crash a lot, and are unsuitable for safe computer use."

I haven't had a crashy/buggy mozilla build in over six months.  It was total crap then.  It is not now.

According to http://macedition.com/cb/resources/abridgedcsssupport.html IE versus Gecko support of CSS2 looks very comparable (different faulty bits in different places), and I have never heard of a "Mozilla CSS Hack", wherease all CSS tutorials have to refer to "IE CSS Hack #n".

J.F.

This is why I don't use IE anymore.

http://tinyurl.com/mr7p

Frankly, I don't understand why tech-savvy people still refuses to switch to Mozilla or Firebird.

Leonardo Herrera
Wednesday, September 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home