Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Recommendation Advice Needed for Book

Hi:

Can any poster recommend a book on J2EE - that takes the reader through the design, coding and implementation process of a web based application?

It will be great if it can have Eclipse as the IDE.

Thanks

Ram Dass
Saturday, September 06, 2003

J2EE Design and Development by Rod Johnson. Wrox press.

RB
Saturday, September 06, 2003

I second this book. And anything else by the Wrox press.

Dustin Alexander
Sunday, September 07, 2003

Because they're collector's items?

Philo

Philo

Rod Johnsons book is a great beginners book for J2EE.

However most of the WROX stuff I have found unimpressive. Most of it seems to be written by industry newbies and merely provides a summary of what you can find on the web. I am more interested in the why and when rather than the how.

Rhys Keepence

I was a huge wrox lover for a long time.

Until I started buying books from other publishers. Then you start to see Wrox for what it is - rushed out the door pulp by whatever authors they could grab for a chapter or two.

I *do* still use pro C# and pro ASP.Net as references, mostly because they're so comprehensive. But they're so comprehensive at the cost of depth.

I've found the MS Press books recently to be pretty good.

Philo

Philo
Monday, September 08, 2003

The Wrox books with only one author are generally fairly good. Kay's XSLT book or the Grimes ATL book for example.

It's the books with 16 different authors that you have to watch out for. Unfortunately, that's most of Wrox's catalog. Or was, anyway.

Chris Tavares
Monday, September 08, 2003

Hmm...the Wrox publishing stuff that I have familiarity with (written by one author, usually) is fairly terse and provides more of a reference than an introduction to given technologies. On the other hand, I have found few other presses that provide that level of information in ANY of their books. [Disregarding O'Reilly, whose S.A books are excellent.]

Dustin Alexander
Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Oreilly manning apress in that order

apress acquired the carcas of wrox after the vultures took the eyes, skin , fat and meat

Karel
Wednesday, September 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home