Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

CityDesk development/testing question

In the middle of the flash-based demo of CityDesk 2.0 at http://www.paxlogica.com/cddemo/Part1.html , Joel is surprised that the pre-publishing step of editing the file with Notepad.exe works (he adds an html comment "we rock!") - which begs the question - how does Fogcreek test CityDesk and its other software before releasing it? 

This isn't a dig at Joel or his software because we all do it, but it's a little scary that even the so-called experts don't do a thorough job of testing their applications.  (No matter how I write the above it sounds insulting - sorry Joel, not my intention.)

It reinforces the opinion that developers are not the best testers and dedicated QA/testing staffs are needed.  Of course, I don't remember if FogCreek has a QA guy. 

GiorgioG
Saturday, September 06, 2003

That is a demo, not a beta testing report... And he probably rehearsed a couple of times before the real thing. So don't think he'd be really surprised.

But I think the demo gives me an amatuerish impression. I heard the ticking of the keyboard. There were short periods of dead-air, random motion of cursor and typing the wrong key and retyping. Maybe he did these intentionally because he wanted to give us a casual feeling. I just think it could've been better.

S.C.

I have to disagree.  I liked the casual feel of the demo.  Especially the gray/green issue.  I prefer this to the polished talking head crap you usually see.

IMHO

B#

I can see the professional IT crowd really getting into the "We rock!" comment ...

Sheesh.  What is this, a tractor pull?

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)

The demo was fine but for heaven's sake turn off that ridiculous "fade menus into view".  Does anybody really leave that option enabled?

Matt Foley
Sunday, September 07, 2003

If Joel was genuinely surprised, it probably wasn't because CityDesk hadn't been tested and nobody knew whether the feature would work. It's more likely that the feature was written and tested by other people, and Joel just hadn't seen it himself yet.

Darren Collins

The way I took it was that he was doing it off the cuff and was surprised it worked because he was just pulling the command line out of his head. The We rock think seemed to be in general, not because the function worked.

JWA

My thoughts -
-If that was off the cuff, I'm absolutely impressed. That's a long script to follow for the first time flawlessly.
-But I don't think it was off the cuff. Joel doesn't spend 20 minutes recording a demo if he hasn't scripted every keystroke and tried everything two or three times. ;-)

So, since it was almost definitely scripted, I'd suggest taking it out. The demo is speaking to the user or prospective purchaser, and suddenly the demonstrator is talking to .... who?
And of course there's the comment I made in the Lingo thread - when you want someone's attention to be on your product, you don't distract from it. This thread alone indicates the comment is jarring, which means now your audience is thinking about the comment instead of the product.

That alone justifies leaving it out.

Philo

Philo

But, BUT, don't forget most people hanging in this forum are JoS nerds, not -necessarily- potential CityDesk users.

Leonardo Herrera
Tuesday, September 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home