Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

#JoS IRC Channel?

Anyone (Joel?) interested in putting together a JoS IRC Channel?  Sometimes these discussions are better suited for chat - we might even cut down on some of the "chatter" that we get on here...

In any case, I'll be idling in #JoS on Efnet....

GiorgioG
Saturday, September 06, 2003

Will you have ftp timers, too? Or fserv?

Drink Or Die

I miss ftp by mail myself

Simon Lucy

Ever heard of time zones?

Stephen Jones

...so the channel should be hopping all the time, right? :-)

Philo

Philo

I knew this day would come, I sat awake late at night looking up at the stars (wondering where the roof was), dreaming of this day.

Of course the irony is all the software development dudes and dudettes chatting away about superior methodologies while they should be developing.

("you have serious Joel on Software issues dude!" </nemo>)

Braid_ged
Sunday, September 07, 2003

IM has replaced IRC for many of us.

What's your IM information? Have ANY of us agreed that any one IM service is better than another? An AIM / YAHOO / MSN / ICQ (pick one of the above) chat room is easy to create.

In any case, I have trillian, it does IRC somehow, maybe i'll join you in that chat room if I'm feeling up to toying with it.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, September 08, 2003

This place is going downhill fast enough without IRC kiddies to help it along.

shhhhhhhh. Don't you know that a group is it's own worst enemy?

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=54790

www.marktaw.com

>This place is going downhill fast enough without IRC kiddies to help it along.

Maybe if you managed to keep your stereotypes about IRC out of this, you'd realize there are civil IRC channels around (check out #ms.net on Efnet - we've never had a single ban in the channel and we usually maintain between 20-30 users at any one time)

For as much as you folks think this is a stupid idea, if nothing else - I had a great discussion about Python (which I knew very little about) with a fellow JoS reader on #JoS the other day.

GiorgioG

>check out #ms.net on Efnet

well, I'm sure that will contribute in it going downhill fast. e.g. wintechOT seemed to be doing fine until Scoble ( http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/ ) let the cat out of the bag.

Just me (Sir to you)

There's alredy the JoS forum. Are you missing something?

Some Sam

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home