Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

CVS question

This is kind of a basic question. I am a newbie to CVS.
I have a development site and a live site. We use CVSnt+WinCVS to manage all the development on the dev. site. Then we use a file synchronization software to sync/transfer files from dev. site to live site.
On the dev. site I see duplicate files with some "v" tag.
i.e I have "test.asp" and "test.asp, v". So when I run the file synchronization software, I am running into lot of problems, because the live site doesn't have any files with ".asp, v" extenstion. What is going on here?
I know this must be a very basic question. I am still reading CVS documentation. But if anybody could point me in the right direction, it would be of great help. Thanks in advance.

Anon
Friday, September 05, 2003

Don't synchronize from your CVS root tree on the server.  That's a bad idea.  Use "cvs export" to pull a tree without the CVS directories, and then synchronize with that.

Luke Reeves

The ,v means it's a cvs repository file - i.e., when you add foo.c, cvs creates foo.c,v in the repository.

The ,v files contain the complete history of the file, not just the current version, so that's probably not what you should be sending to your server....

Pat Rice

P.S. Beware cvs export -  it's very easy to mangle binary files (images, etc.) through inadvertent  keyword expansion.

Pat Rice

Binary files should be checked in as binary, which annotates their ',v' files with a flag turning off keyword expansion.

Ben Combee

What about  doing the check out of the entire repository to a mirror site and then doing the file synchronization between the mirror site and live site?
Thanks for the advice so far.

Anon

Also, why use synchronisation software at all? Just export directly from the CVS repository to the live site.

Bill Tomlinson

Just want to use the mirror site as a layer of protection and test the mirror site before making it live. Also want to keep the live site separate from dev. site,  not associated in any way to CVS. So want to use a different program for file synchronization and comaprison.
Thanks for the inputs so far. Looks like check out going to work.

Anon

I'd suggest to use "cvs export" instead of "csv co" for your mirror site as to avoid any possibility to check-in any changes, and to avoid all the CVS dirs.

Robert Chevallier
Saturday, September 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home