Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

New book recommendation..

Hi smart guys !!
What is the latest/relatively new book you read that you recommend?

gayatri
Thursday, September 04, 2003

white teeth by zadie smith.

rz

also, "whatever" by michel houellebeqc isn't that new, but is very relevant to the lives of most JoS readers.

rz

"Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right" - Al Franken.

Simply outstanding.

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)

Learning Perl Objects, References, and Modules, Randal Schwartz. (The PORM)

If you want to process text files in a way that's world class, get learning perl, then the PORM.

Matt H.
Friday, September 05, 2003

Yeah I think most of us who want to reuse code will want to learn advanced scripting language features like modules and classes. Just a question though, is PORM really the book for text processing, or just Perl? I always though the Regular Expression (coverage of RegExp) and Cook Book (coverage of File IO/String) book is better for text processing.

Li-fan Chen

I'm reading Al Franken's "Lies and Lying Liars Who Tell Them" right now. It is very good. It's funny and illuminating.

However, if you are a GWB fan then you will dismiss his book as lies so don't bother reading it. On Amazon, there are many reviews of this book with a 1-star rating that say declare "THIS BOOOK IS ALL LIES!! I WOULDNT REED IT IF U PAYED ME!!!!"

runtime

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home