Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

You might as well stop programming now...

http://www.youmaybenext.com

I know this patent craziness has been done to death on this forum, but wouldn't this one pretty much mean any website you make is going to be infringing?

Does it even affect POS systems?

Chris
Wednesday, September 03, 2003

Instead of figuring out how to not get sued, or which ones to sue, shouldn't people be busy reforming their obviously broken patent system?

I mean in Europe you can't file patents like this. This is so severly retarded its not even funny.

Patrik

Well, it seems they are only going after smaller companies.

To me that means that they know the bigger companies would wipe the floor with them or tie them up in litigation, otherwise, surely they would go for the bigger money.

Basically, it's a company that doesn't really do anything, just register patents and sue people. They're just bullies and like all bullies they will come undone sooner or later.

I can't understand how this is even legal. They don't appear to have patented any technology, just the ability to put sales literature on a website (I may be reading that wrong, it's not exactly clear).

Pete J

thank god thats over then.

...stupid computers never worked even without the patents...

didn't it always seem like a bad joke anyway?  "here, we want you to write code that runs on top of someone else's code.  Their code  was written a while ago and is dependent on someone else's code to run.  The third persons code is dependent on code written by someone else....ad nauseam.."
...and then when the damn stuff broke _im_ expected to fix it...

FullNameRequired

Europe is better?? http://swpat.ffii.org/

Big companies would wipe the floor?? http://www.sunspot.net/technology/bal-bz.doyle31aug31,0,7213569.story?coll=bal-technology-headlines

I want a patent on the business process of customers looking at a computer display to interact with a business.

That and the blues chord progression in all it's forms.

Then I'll donate one to the public domain. Promise. Hmmm, which one?

fool for python

I want a patent on key combinations for cut-and-paste.

And another for bunching up toilet paper and using it to wipe yer bum.

Joe Kerr

I hold the patent if the TP is dispenced over the top of the roll and it's pending for the bottom.

_#_

How is it that this PanIP outfit can sue these sites, since their patents specifically state the following?

"...Each multimedia terminal comprises a video screen and a video memory which holds co-related image-and-sound-generating information arranged to simulate the aspect and speech of an application loan officer on the video screen. The simulated loan officer is used to acquire personal loan data from the applicant by guiding him through an interactive sequence of inquiries and answers. .."

These sites don't seem to have anything to do with an automated loan officer on-screen.

Dave

As for PanIP not going after big companies, I heard that it was more likely they were building up a portfolio of successful actions against small businesses. With that portfolio, they could then take on a larger fish.

There seems to be a lot of these "company that does nothing except hold patents" around.

Joel Goodwin

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home