Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Stupid Arrogant Programmers Redux

One .... MORE TIME....

I wanted to sync my Handspring Prism with my PC. The last time I syncd it was before I installed McAffee AV.

Launch Hotsync Manager. Press sync button on Handspring.

"McAffee AV for PalmOS" crap starts up and starts nagging me for the CD. NO I DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL ANTIVIRUS ON MY PALM OS! NO! NOT!! G*D D*MNT JUST NOT DON'T DO IT!!!

Of course, the Handspring and the PC are now in a state of wanting to shove this AV SH*T down my throat and I DO NOT WANT AV ON MY PALM. The sync is all fouled up, the handspring is anally complaining.

So. Paw around on Google groups. Launch applications, see that there is NO way to remove items from the !@^*! "Conduit Manager" that governs what applications and files are to be installed to the Palm.  No user control over the process.  Check Add/Remove programs. McAffee is a "unit", no separate entry for PalmOS AV. McAffee's control panel is saying that PalmOs antivirus is enabled but is absolute opaque as to how to control it. No settings for it exist.

FINALLY find a posting by some blessed, kind soul on a newgroup who describes the registry keys, sitting under an entry for US Robotics. (so knowledge of mergers and acquisitions is necessary to find software settings!?) I find the keys that contain the McAffee crap that will download to the palm, delete them, go to the conduit manager, and Antivirus is blessedly *gone.* Ahhh relief.

I want to find the programmers who made this stuff so hard to undo and beat their faces with a shovel.

Typical techie arrogance: "Oh, you should WANT antivirus, EVERYONE needs it, oh, you should just shut up and install it, no you don't need a way to remove it, you're too stupid to know what you want, oh lah de dah it's a big download but get over it, it's only one time."

Lynch mobs to string up and torture arrogant puke programmers. Take their cans of Jolt Cola and Red Bull and shove them up their butts sideways. That's it. That's the ticket.

Seriously: the shoe being on the other foot is disconcerting and humbling. Just how do ordinary non - "I live for computer" types - you know, normal people with balanced lives - get along anyway?

Bored Bystander
Monday, September 01, 2003

Not typical techie arrogance; typical bullshit company arrogance.
Programs that should roll over and *die*:

Quicktime - this bloody thing screws up your file extensions if it ever gets a chance.

RealPlayer - spyware, crapware, shitware, malfunctionware, doesnotWORKware - die.

McAffee/Norton AV - who in hells name ever said they should start when Windows starts? Granted, i've not used this POS in years but back when I did it had a nice habit of ensuring its Guard/shield/whatever did. Useless.

RARR! That felt good.

Mickey Petersen

How about Object Desktop by Stardock. You have to pay $50 f*ckin' bucks to get their collection of hack toys. Once I did, I realized that each of them has their own different installation routine. In many cases, the installation does not even tell you the status or if it's done. I had to reinstall the whole sh*tbag twice to be sure they took. Then, when things didn't work (that's the understatement of the decade), I tried to uninstall it. Hoo boy, I had to uninstall the individual apps, then the whole group of them, then I had to use their uninstaller PLUS Windows' uninstaller. Then I had to go delete rogue services, files, and registry keys. The program STILL came back. I had to go buy a new f*ckin' hard drive and reinstall Windows before the demons left my PC. Arggh!

StickyWicket

Regarding AV products - consider the market. 99% of their customers want "put the CD in and protect me" and that's what they get.

I believe Norton has an advanced setup where you can indicate which way you want it.

But I can't check now because I'm on 2000 Server and it only installs on Pro, because I should have to pay $250 to install workstation virus protection on a server. (See previous rant)

I think an app that won't install based on OS version (Pro vs. Server, Pro vs. home) shouldn't be certified by MS as Windows compatible.

Philo

Philo

I second the vote that quicktime and realplayer are the most despicable applications ever.

That said, media player has "bugs" in its file associations code, but at least isn't a huge eyesore and try to pop up ads and reminders to buy it all the time.

Andy

I agree, Philo.

My computationally dysfunctional family seems to think that, because they read en e-mail from one of the MANY "Security Firms", that they are infected with a computer virus/worm/trojan whenever Word won't show their clipart or whatever.

Mickey Petersen

StickyWicket,

Some of the really stupid programs place it in the "Run=" entry in the Win.ini file; apparantly, some programs haven't left the realm of windows 3.11 programming and find this an excellent spot for launching their programs.

Mickey Petersen

Well, also Norton AV is obnoxious as hell. I am not so sure about the latest version, but to uninstall NAV2002 or earlier one would have to go through a living hell and edit registry extensively. And the same story applies to other Symantec products.

I think that is more of a case of an arrogant company policy where they think they know better what you're simply out of luck if you don't agree.

Mr Curiousity

Interesting. I've found Norton AntiVirus 2002 to be a model application. I've not tried to uninstall it but then I've not had occasion to.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

I actually like McAffee. It's a good antivirus.

But it's ok with me to run at startup.

Actually, I'm upset that it doesn't autoupdate periodically - I have to tell it to autoupdate.

:-(

Thunderstone

And I like Object Desktop and DesktopX but not many of the toys I admit.

As it happens they've streamlined all their installations into an uberinstaller thingy.

Simon Lucy

I used the uberinstaller. Unfortunately, it simply launches the individual installers for each app. Garbage in, garbage out.

StickyWicket
Tuesday, September 02, 2003

"I think an app that won't install based on OS version (Pro vs. Server, Pro vs. home) shouldn't be certified by MS as Windows compatible."

That policy would make IIS uncertifiable. (it won't install in XP Home)

anon
Tuesday, September 02, 2003

>Typical techie arrogance

Much more likely, typical management arrogance. Most techies are smart enough to understand why you don't always want _all_ the features of a program to always be active all the time, or why you don't want a program to autorun whenever you boot your system. What this probably was was some idiotic PHB forcing this 'feature' in under the rubric of 'branding' or 'synergy' or some other such MBA-BS.

- Firebug

Firebug
Wednesday, September 03, 2003

I second (third?) the vote about Quicktime. I nearly flew off the handle when the @#$%& thing reinstalled itself into the registry when I happened to run Quciktime (I removed it's entry from the registry to prevent it from starting and putting itself in the system tasktray every time the machine boots). I hate software that gratituously loads itself at boot time. Software that forces itself to do so is asinine.

It would give me enormous satisfaction to beat the worthless moron at QT behind this into a bloody pulp.

Burninator
Wednesday, September 03, 2003

I ran a CALL lab a few years ago, using W98, and found that if the computers were rebooted at the end of every hourly session, the number of crashes decreased dramatically; I still got large numbers of screen freezes, and eventually nailed it down to Quick Time, various versions of which were installed with the different CALL programs.

The later version is better, but I will still say that Qucktime sucks. And it sucks enough to put me off even thinking of buying an Apple-Mac!

Stephen Jones
Friday, September 05, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home