Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

"Send to E-mail" Corrupted

Dear all:

I was wondering if you could help me....

My computer is running Windows 98 SE. I had IE 5.5, Outlook Express 5 and Mozilla 1.3 on it for web-browsing and e-mail. All was fine.

I recently upgraded IE and Outlook Express to version 6. Everything seemed fine until I tried sending a web-page by e-mail in IE: File | Send | Page/Link By E-mail, which opened the *Mozilla browser* for a few seconds then closed. Under Internet Options | Programs | E-mail I have Outlook Express as the chosen program.

Also:

- when I do the same thing in Mozilla it *opens* Outlook Express
- If I try to send a file from Windows Explorer to the "Mail Recipient" (Right click | Send to | Mail Recipient) nothing happens anymore

I tried repairing Internet Explorer, and reinstalling Mozilla. But nothing works. I even tried IEradicator ( http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html ) but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.... Thanks.

Chi Lambda
Sunday, August 31, 2003

Delete W98.

Bella
Sunday, August 31, 2003

>> Delete W98.

That's a rather harsh way of putting it :)

My suggestion goes along the same way. If possible, I think switch to NT 4.0 or better still 2K Workstation.

The One You Loved (TOYL)
Monday, September 01, 2003

For your information I solved the problem.

After reading the following article:
http://members.toast.net/4pf/Protocol.html

... it was simply a matter of doing the following:

- Start
- Run
- regedit
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER
- Software
- Clients
- Mail

Mozilla's Thunderbird was listed as the default mail application even though I had explicity made Outlook Express the default program. So I right-clicked in the right-hand window pane and chose Modify. Then typed Outlook Express. Bingo.

(What was a weird feeling was that I did not _browse_ for the Outlook Express *.exe program on my hard drive but simply typed a name. Total guess.)

Chi Lambda
Saturday, September 06, 2003

Thank you so much.  My IE had also been hijacked by Mozilla.

Seth Crosby
Monday, February 02, 2004

nice one bella, wipe out your OS to fix a single key in a registry, and not much better from toyl.
long live the morons!

fred forqueall
Wednesday, March 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home