Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

tech support

Hi everyone.  I have an interview for a technical support position at a large company next week.  I would appreciate any advice/interview tips from anyone who has experience as a tech support  rep or interviewing them.  Thanks and have a great labor day.

mccy
Saturday, August 30, 2003

What do you want to know?

Martin Schultz
Sunday, August 31, 2003

Tell them WIndows sucks and Linux rules.

Just kidding
Sunday, August 31, 2003

Well I'd like to know anything related to a tech support interview, thanks.

mccy
Sunday, August 31, 2003

Can you fix my computer ?

Damian
Sunday, August 31, 2003

what is your background experience?

Jen
Sunday, August 31, 2003

When I was interviewing people to work in technical support I was less interested in their experience and knowledge than I was their overall behaviour.  Practices in technical support have changed quite a lot since I used to work in or manage it, its now more of a CRM driven activity with a lot of scripts and directed responses.

I'd be interested in how alert you were, in how well you described an event or an experience, in your diagnostic ability, to ask questions that narrowed down the focus of the problem even though many diagnostic scripts are provided for tech support now and they aren't so dependant on individual knowledge.

I'd be interested in what  motivated you, whether you had the kind of personality that could listen and converse with people that were boring, inept, nervous, lying, aggressive, abusive, self opionionated, obviously more experienced, thought they were more experienced; for eight hours or more a day every day without either losing their temper or their mind.

I'd try and find out if you were easily bored or whether you could do quite high level tasks and at the same time amuse yourself to keep interested. 

Simon Lucy
Monday, September 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home