Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Seeing outsourcing as an opportunity

Outsourcing only bad if you simply want to be told what to do and want to remain the computer equivalent of a "manufacturing laborer."

If, instead, you see this as an opportunity to start your own company, become proactive, and actively be more creative, then this isn't a bad thing. It provides labor for small businesses that they could otherwise not afford. (We were able to hire excellent programmers for half the cost) Further, if you are an excellent programmer in a specialized field, then you aren't going to have much trouble anyway. People will seek you out. We do.

So contribute to Opensource software. Get your name out there.

But if you think that you can just "punch the card" then in my opinion you deserve what you get. And if you think you can stay in California, well, good luck unless you figure a way to build the better mousetrap that everyone wants.

Joy
Saturday, August 30, 2003

Where did this comment come from?  Not everyone here is opposed to outsourcing, especially since programmers are partly responsible for it.  It just has certain practical problems.

For example, how do you deal with the increased communication time?  I telecommute on certain projects, and the feedback is considerably less since we don't yet have the VR technology to talk, write on a whiteboard, and notice subtle visual cues.  In fact, when you're dealing with someone from a totally different culture, you occasionally start distrusting him.  Even within one nation, you have many different cultures.

So, my question is, how do you maintain your cost advantage?  Are you willing to explain what kind of company you are, how you located good offshore talent, and how you solved the practical problems?  If you could do this, it would be very convincing.

curious

I think open source software has contributed to the notion that software is a commodity. With the software being a commodity, so must the labor that creates… or manufactures it, right? I don’t think I should have to give my skill away for free in order to make a name for myself, unless you are talking about philanthropy.

Is there no loyalty or passion for one’s company anymore (sure, I know the reverse isn't true)? If “you are an excellent programmer in a specialized field … People will seek you out.” If you “think you can just ‘punch the card’ then … you deserve what you get.” Being good at what you do and punching a card are not opposites.

Is your point that outsourced labor has better ROI than employees? Aren’t the outsourced laborers employees for the outsourcing firm?

m

"Where did this comment come from? "

Copied from
http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/08/29/215232.shtml?tid=126&tid=156&tid=166&tid=98&tid=99

Tom Vu

"Is there no loyalty or passion for one’s company anymore..."

I bet most Harley Davidson employees and customers would say yes.

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home