Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Recommend vendor for MSDN Universal

I'm ready to take the plunge and buy a MSDN Universal subscription.  I've seen prices at various web sites ranging from around $1100 to over $2000.

Any one know a cheap AND reliable seller?

steved
Saturday, August 30, 2003

Last time I saw a discussion like this, a few people popped out to say they'd ordered from vLane and were pleased. Unfortunately, I now see that the bookmark that I had -- which was valid a couple weeks ago -- isn't valid any more.

Microsoft had promised to crack down on these people selling "gray" MSDN licenses, so I'm guessing that it must've started.

Try Pricegrabber. Last I checked, they showed MSDN vendors.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

Where do the $1000 MSDN licenses come from, and why are they grey?

My guess - Microsoft is playing crack dealer again - let out a bunch of cheap licenses and didn't regulate it to give people a chance to get hooked. Now they're reeling them in.

Philo

Philo

As I understand it, Microsoft offers the first license for full price, and then you can buy a limited number of additional licenses for a much, much lower price. These companies that are selling MSDN for $1200 are amortizing the price of the high first cost license + the low additional cost licenses.

I say "gray", because I don't honestly know whether it's against the license as it stands/stood. I think it is, though.

Oh, and let's not forget that some of the ones you see on eBay are Microsoft employees, selling something they get for (comparitively) no money at all. Microsoft has definitely been cracking down as those, as witnessed by that guy who had been accused of re-selling $9m worth of software from the Microsoft store, who eventually ended up committing suicide.

I've bought my MSDN Universal licenses since 1999 from either provantage (www.provantage.com). CDW also sells it (www.cdw.com), and both are legit resellers, AFAIK. There are others, but I've had good experience from provantage.com

I would not buy directly from MS as last time I checked their price was something like 300-400 USD more than the provantage price.

Be very, very careful where you buy MSDN Universal, and from whom. Also, be sure you're getting MSDN Universal, and not Pro or one of the other tiers of MSDN packages. Folks quoting prices of 1000 USD for MSDN packages are probably not referring to Universal. e-Bay's great, but "caveat emptor" -- big time! Lots of people try to sell 'grey' stuff there, you must be careful and check into it before you buy. Watch you don't get an academic license, either. I've seen people try to sell academic license stuff on e-Bay, and that's not what most folks should be buying, though it's normally less expensive.

After having bought Universal for several years running, you only get a few hundred USD break on renewals of your license from year to year. Of course, I only renewed my single license, so comments made above regarding lower prices for a **second** and later license (i.e. quantity pricing/licensing) are likely correct, but I have no experience with them. So the point here is that for a single license situation, if you pay your 2000 USD fee (roughly, YMMV) for the initial purchase, you should expect to pay perhaps 200-300 USD (again, YMMV by vendor) less for the subsequent year's renewal **of that license**. If somebody's telling you you can renew Universal for 1000 USD, that's probably not a proper Universal renewal price and you should check into it to see what might be amiss.

Good Luck,

anonQAguy
Tuesday, September 02, 2003

I've bought MS Universal for about $1000 from an online shopping site - www.softwaremore-usa.com

Here is a link showing some comparison prices...
http://shopper.cnet.com/4014-3514_9-6749072.html?tag=ob_50&orderby=50&sort=asc

http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=460982/ut=d01f1447ff5da467

In terms of legitimacy, i've contacted both the site and Microsoft and while I haven't been able to determine why some are so cheap, it is legit.

I can confirm that I have received and continue to receive the monthly shipments, which are sent from Microsoft.

AEB

[nod] While I haven't taken advantage of it, I know of several people who have bought MSDN Universal for $1100 - $300 DVD rebate, and had zero complaints.

As for renewing, it's cheaper to let it lapse and renew a few months later. You get 4 quarterly shipments with MSDN, so that's 15 months of coverage. If there isn't anything burning coming out when it lapses, you can let it go even longer.

Just make sure you get and write down all your license keys before your access to the website implodes!

Philo

Philo

I ended up getting my MSDN Universal sub through the Code Project. After the DVD rebate and a renewal price for having VC 6 enterprise, it came out to about $1600. And it supports a very, VERY useful website as well.

http://www.codeproject.com

(I'm not affiliated with Code Project in any way)

Chris Tavares

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home