Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Pagemaker Software

I am considering buying version 4.0 of Aldus Pagemaker.  I realize there are newer versions, but we like know how to use 4.0 and like it.  Does anyone know for sure if it will run smoothly under Windows XP?

Gwen Strough
Friday, August 29, 2003

Um... that version's ancient -- about 10 years old, I think, pre-Windows 95.  Probably the only way to find out is to test it.  Why not just bite the bullet and get the latest version?

Robert Jacobson
Friday, August 29, 2003

I remember that it was a just beautiful piece of software. They still sell it?

Leonardo Herrera
Friday, August 29, 2003

I used Pagemaker way back then. The truth is that it was REALLY easy for me to use MS Publisher 2003 (still beta, but older versions are available). The 15 year old concepts were still valid. I'd say look at Publisher, personally.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, August 29, 2003

i also recommend MS Publisher.
maybe not the best, but enough, easy and included in MS Office.

Guillermo
Saturday, August 30, 2003

MS Publisher is crap, but it is cheap and is 'good enough' for the market they're trying to reach (i.e. not the people that need a high-end publishing system).

I used MS-Publisher successfully for 4.5 years doing my rocketry club's newsletter (and winning a national award twice). I picked it because it was cheap and would do what I needed (an 8-12 page newsletter 6 times/year) - I wouldn't use it for anything much beyond that.

I did upgrade to every new version that came out while I edited the newsletter (just stopped in June) and it did improve quite a bit over that time. It improved from 'just barely usable crap' to 'almost decent crap' in that time...

RocketJeff
Monday, September 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home