Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The greatest software company in the world

In doing .Net research I have been downloading MSDN tech-tv. Just finished watching episode 6
http://msdn.microsoft.com/theshow/Episode006/default.asp
(a 60 Mb download, so a bit scary without broadband)

Fairly boring except for the 'intermission' (I think they call it the diversion) about midway through the piece. Shows are tubby hockey player yelling into a microphone about microsoft being the greatest company in the world.

Everything else aside, I was incredibly moved and I want to go work there now.

An Aussie Chick
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Work there as a hockey player? :-)

Amour Tan

...... By the end of the 'diversion' I would work there as the Janitor just to be able to call myself a microsoft employee....

(I have no idea why I wrote 'janitor' as an Australian I have never ever used the word 'janitor' in a sentence, we also think of hockey primarily as a stick and ball on a grass field in the sun and always qualify ice-hockey with the word 'ice', so I have no idea why I said that either....)

An Aussie Chick

Aussie Chick,

The answer is simple; that you are being sucked into the American cultural imperialism like the rest of the world. You can't hepl it. You are powerless to resist. I don't know why I just said that.

dmooney
Thursday, August 28, 2003

Speaking an Aussie myself, saying Janitor is hardly "cultural imperialism".

The thing with so called American cultural imperialism is that  no one is dragged kicking and screaming into McDonalds. The Aussie chick chose to say Janitor.

Matthew Lock

"The thing with so called American cultural imperialism is that  no one is dragged kicking and screaming into McDonalds."

actually - the way McD's advertise directly to young children (the toys they give away etc) - a lot of parents tend to get dragged into McD's by their kicking and screaming offspring demanding the latest toy etc.

(should be banned, advertising directed at children that is ... and McD's come to that, sod it ban kids too ...)

blargle

You aussies are just as bad.

As a brit I find my self foresaking the Queen's english, poluting my conversation with expressions such as G'day, Barby and Strewth.

Curse you antipodeans and your pleasantly enjoyable soap operas.

Ged Byrne

Actually cultural imperialism works by insinuation, it is the negation of choice not the avowal of choice.

Simon Lucy

As an Aussie, I don't ever recall using the word "strewth".

Jack.

Jack of all

I'd like to work there to see all the dumbfounded looks as they keep losing to linux.

Wump

blargle:

As a person who avoided McD's like the plague until the onset of children, I can tell you that it isn't the cheap toys that draws them/us in; it's the indoor playground. _That_ is the true genius of McDonald's marketing.

I hope they made the guy who thought up indoor playgrounds a multi-millionaire, because he will surely burn in hell when he dies... :)

Rob VH

I'm afraid that part of McDonals global domination is the local imcompetance.

I remember that when McDonalds came along the idea of a clean toilet was revolutionary.

An idea of what british cafe toilets were like before the McD revolution can be gained by watching Trainspotting.

Ged Byrne

What I've noticed about McDonald's is how eating the food as an adult doesn't live up to the memories of the joy it induced as a child.  I think the subliminal programming fades with age.

Jim Rankin

"actually - the way McD's advertise directly to young children (the toys they give away etc) - a lot of parents tend to get dragged into McD's by their kicking and screaming offspring demanding the latest toy etc."

And this amazes me to no end. Parents just have to say one little word: NO. I have 5 children, all under 10. They all tried kicking, screaming, and demanding when they were very little. A lot of NOs later, and they are fairly well behaved now.

A lot of people in my generation grew up with nobody telling them NO. So now we have a lot of people still using their childish behavior as adults. And we are surprised we our current sociatal situation. Frankly, we got what we deserve.

Anyways, end of rant.

Slartibartfast

I had to watch the video out of curiousity. It's actually a football jersey, made to look like the Seattle Seahawks, but with an Windows logo. [Of course, it's not the football as you know it (what we call soccer).  It's the one like Australian Rules Football, but better. Although I must admit that Aussie Rules Football has much cooler referees. You gotta dig that thing they do on a score.]

"An idea of what british cafe toilets were like before the McD revolution can be gained by watching Trainspotting."

This is the first thread I've read this morning. I really didn't need to wake up to that image.

Nick

Yeah Australian imperialism is rampant here in the US.

Crocodile Dundee movies, Fosters ("Australian for Beer") commercials... Outback Steakhouses.... Nicole Kidman...

You damn Aussies!

Mister Fancypants

We now have a global culture. People will learn to accept this eventually.

Meine Hosen sind hervorragend!

"a lot of parents tend to get dragged into McD's by their kicking and screaming offspring demanding the latest toy etc."

That's baloney.  That's the problem with today's american parents.  As soon as kids put up a little fuss, parents cave in.  We wouldn't want to hurt their little self-esteem's by telling kids "NO".

Cletus

That would be Brian Valentine, one of the big honchos on Windows.

I worked for Microsoft's University Relations group last year as a contractor at the University of Minnesota. A Program Manager who had come out to give a talk started off with that. I nearly fell over, I was laughing so hard, but the audience simply didn't think it was funny. Oh well.

Aaron

Aussie Chick: If you end up going to Redmond, please, please bring a case of Cadbury's chocolate for me! (the American stuff is horrible - although to make up for it, the beer is often pretty good).

I've heard a lot of different things about what it is like working for MS. It seems to me that the glory days are gone, but if you work for the right division, I hear that it can be a very good experience indeed (e.g. working for the research division is supposed to be pretty good).

Burninator

Yes - McDonalds, not Microsoft is the greatest company in the world.

They are improving lives for chickens world wide by demanding better treatment of the animals.

They are creating jobs for small family farmers by including them in their supply chain.

They currently have the most gourmet selection of any of the fat food restaurants.

They offer fair benefit plans and higher wages than any other fast food restaurants.

Things are getting better -- thanks to McDonalds.

Tony Chang

"Crocodile Dundee movies, Fosters ("Australian for Beer") commercials... Outback Steakhouses.... Nicole Kidman..."

All these things we don't, or have very little of, in australia. Especially fosters. Practically no one drinks that disgusting stuff :)

Marmaduke

I prefer the "developers" video with Steve Balmer myself (and the music video version.)

Thanks.

Tim

C'mon, "The Wiggles" have got to be the pinnacle of Aussie culture!

pUnk

Fair suck of the sauce bottle, Jack, but you've never used the word "strewth"? Don't come the raw prawn with me!! Now excuse I, I've got to shoot through to syphon the python.

as

Cripes, Jack, I've only just realised that you said 'I don't ever recall using the word "strewth"'. Obviously you were implying that you only utter the word in question during a night on the amber nectar, and your subsequent recall is a bit tentative.

as
Friday, August 29, 2003

I reckon you've got kanga-bloody-roos in the top paddock, mate.

Dave Hallett
Friday, August 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home