Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

My new job rocks

Just thought I'd post to brag about my new job.

Shortly before Sept 11 2001 I lost my job at a big consulting firm. In October of the same year I started at a software company. I thought I would really like working as an employee at a software firm. It seemed like everyone was friendly and they were doing some cool stuff. Well, as the economy was sluggish so were sales. When I first got there they gave me an older computer out of a closet and promised a newer one was on the way. 12 months later I was still using the same junker. Also, the company was too cheap to pay up for even a $30 textpad license. The software product itself was way over-architected and super bloated. A development installation needed about 2 GB and took 2-3 days to build/configure. My cube was in the middle of the building surrounded by QA and tech writers and also right next to the break room - I could never concentrate for more than 10 minutes without being interrupted. The managers and architects were terrible

Several months ago I quit that job in frustration. I almost started crying while meeting with my manager. I was so frustrated with that place. After that I investigated buying/starting my own business. Business as in a sub shop, landscaping, janitor service, etc... and didn't really think about getting back into the computer field. I just felt so burnt.

Well, a couple months ago I happened to go on an interview just to see if it would pan out. And it did. Now I'm on an awesome team using good tools (struts, real IDE's, ant, agile development, new computer, etc...).

I am really glad I went on the interview. I had almost given up, but now things are much better.

Anyway, I just wanted to post to let other people know that there are good opportunities out there. Don't listen to all the negative folks who say everything sucks.

Happy Again
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Is your place still hiring J2EE developers ?

Someone without a name

Wonderful, It says that better is out there, and search for it and you will find it.

You need to describe what's missing and you need to establish what's ideal.

Easy

Congratulations.

Jim Rankin

I think you should really wait for the honeymoon to be over before celebrating. You are after all either still in probation or training.

Anonymous

Anonymous,

Thanks for the "practical" advice. I'm not saying everything is perfect (been here 3 weeks - still no phone.), but most of the people here have a can-do attitude and the environment is much better than my last job.

Still happy

As someone else who's happy where he works, let me second the fact that it's possible. Feel free to be happy, Happy!

jason

JasonB

"As someone else who's happy where he works, let me second the fact that it's possible."

Then again, maybe you were just born that way.

http://www.princeton.edu/~wws320/Second%20Pages/07Genetics/happiness.pdf

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, August 28, 2003

Hey, no phone== no calls & no voice mail.

I hate it when people leave me voice mail - send me email.  takes 2 seconds to read instead of a couple minutes calling into voicemail.

K

"Then again, maybe you were just born that way."

Or you learn to be that way:
Learned Optimism
http://www.psych.upenn.edu/seligman/

Cletus

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home