Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Conectix Virtual PC

Just had a look at MSDN Subscriber Donloads and this product is now available - http://www.microsoft.com/virtualpc .

I have some questions:

1. Is it as good as (i.e. does the same job as) VMWare?
2. Is the version on MSDN a full version or trial? It isn't stated specifically on the MSDN site if it is trial or not, except the link above states that a 45 day trial is available.
3. Can anybody else download it? I get "Proxy returned bad gateway error." whenever I try and download it. (All other files on MSDN work fine.

Chris
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

It is going to kick vmware's butt if you are an MS shop

1.  Microsoft will support their OS's running on it.  No more having to load the OS on the hardware and try to replicate the problem.

2.  This is a big play for NT 4.0 consolidation.  Basically you can point at an existing NT 4.0 server and have it automagically created on your virtual server.

Fred
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

I"m using it on Mac for more than 3 years and it served me very well. I installed it on my Windows XP machine to create multiple environments. It really brought my machine to a crawl. So I removed it.

cooler

From MSDN: In the meantime, a 45-day free trial of the Connectix Virtual PC for Windows version 5, now from Microsoft, can be downloaded for evaluation purposes.

This means there's a download trial version, not the real version which will ship later in the year.

Sounds good, in theory, especially for supporting several clients, each with their own set of applications. I run a small software house/consultancy, so being able to keep each client's development separate in it's own VM would be useful.

Anyone know if its possible to define multiple instances of the same OS on one PC ?

Steve Jones (UK)

"Anyone know if its possible to define multiple instances of the same OS on one PC ?"

yes, each residing in it's own VM.  Support organizations use that for different OS/Memory configs  (ie.  W2K w/128MB of RAM, W2k w/256 MB of RAM, etc)

apw

It's used where I work but not by me.  The people who use it claim to be very happy with it. 

D

"1. Is it as good as (i.e. does the same job as) VMWare?"

VMware and Virtual PC are fundamentally different products, trying to solve similar problems.

VMware is designed to run on x86 machines, to host x86 OSes. Much of the speed of VMware is derived from the fact that most of the instructions executed inside the VM are actually being directly executed by the CPU. Very rarely is the CPU ever virtualized.

Virtual PC is designed to run on machines with a variety of processors, to host x86 OSes. It virtualizes everything, at a higher speed penalty than VMware.

You can expect quirky edge behavior in both products, I imagine, and pretty much rock solid stability when you're not in those edge cases.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

"2. Is the version on MSDN a full version or trial? It isn't stated specifically on the MSDN site if it is trial or not, except the link above states that a 45 day trial is available."

The download inside the MSDN Subscriber Downloads area (which is NOT the link you posted) is a full version. Anybody at all can download the trial, but you must have a valid and existing subscription to the full version (not sure what level subscription is required, though).

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

I got it downloaded at home from the MSDN Subscriber downloads, Yes it is the full version.

It seems just as good as VMWare to me. And its free (sort of).

Chris

There is a program that runs multiple Windows systems on the same machine without using virtual machines or dual-booting. I'm not sure how it works exactly. I haven't used it, either, but it crops up fairly regularly in some UK computing mags. It's called HyperOS.

User forum: http://www.hyperosforum.co.uk/hosf/index.php

I like the sound of it. VMs are great for software development and keeping your system "clean" but not so great when you want to test hardware against multiple operating systems as they don't always provide direct access to the hardware.

Eponymous Biro
Saturday, September 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home