Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Linking Visual Studio 6.0 and Latest MSDN

I have installed VS 6.0 and the Latest MSDN (entire collection locally on the hard drive). But when I launch help from within VC++ 6.0 or VB 6.0, the following error message is displayed

"MSDN Collection does not exist. Please reinstall MSDN"

Is there some registry tweak that has to be carried out to make VS6 work with latest MSDN?

Thank You very much

Prashanth
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

I think you have to go back to the October 2001 edition to work with VS6.

Tony E
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Yep. VS 6 only works with MSDN from October 2001. All MSDN libraries from that point onward are VS.NET compatible only.
As long as you still have the Oct2001 version around this isn't a problem. Otherwise ... well.. you know...

Geert-Jan Thomas
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

That's correct, IIRC Microsoft was advising at the time that VS6 users should retain the October 2001 version.  Also, any newer version doesn't include documentation for VS6 and its language versions, only for VS.NET -- so it wouldn't be much use anyway.

Chris Nahr
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Ahoy Mr Nahr...

FWIW, I did manage to get a Visual Studio Macro to manually launch later versions of MSDN.  Google and you might be able to find it.  The version I had was slightly erratic, so I eventually resorted to just having MSDN open and manually searching.

Alex
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Reinstall.  That seems to be an ongoing thing for Windos users.

Fred
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Thank You All for your valuable responses.

Posting this question here saved me lot of time searching the web for a solution :)

Prashanth
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home