Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Follow-up re: Advice: Small to Big Corp

I want to thank everyone for their great responses to my earlier thread:

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=62816&ixReplies=23

To follow-up, since my post I was interviewed a second, then a third time, and have just received a great offer, which I'm pretty much ready to accept.

Now, the heartache of resigning from my current employer is scaring the hell outta me. But I'm going to follow the advice of others in that thread and do my best to make the transition easy on everyone involved.

It's really tough to leave, but I know that it's something I have to do. 

Matthew Lee
Monday, August 25, 2003

Stay on as an offsite consultant or onsite after hours and don't burn your bridges.

Tom Vu
Monday, August 25, 2003

Tom, I'm guessing you're not a married man. ;')

All kidding aside, I'm giving 2 weeks notice, and am more than willing to work some extra hours to aid in the transition, but beyond that, and aside from email and phone contact, I can't prolong the inevitable.

Matthew Lee
Monday, August 25, 2003

Matthew -- I would not "prolong the inevitable,"  but you can sound willing to help.  NOT burning bridges, is not the same as willing to work 2 jobs. 

Give your two weeks notice, set a solid date, and tell your leadership in person, followed up by a letter.  Keep the letter short, sweet and ambiguous. 

"Should you need anything, please feel free to contact me"

This sounds good but gives you the option to say "no".  You will probably find little contact.  Also, do not give them your new office phone.  No matter what you think, your new boss may not take kindly to you "working" for your old boss. (many employment contract forbid it.)

Good Luck,
-- Roy

BigRoy
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home