Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Things really starting to pick up?

I've gotten at 4-5 calls from different companies to discuss job opportunities in the past week (local & otherwise) and was wondering if it's just a random ocurrence or are things really starting to look better?

GiorgioG
Monday, August 25, 2003

There are a TON of jobs out there.  Too bad they are all > labeled < as senior position that require uber experience.  Just some more HR games.  So those of us that graduated circa 2001 still have a tough time finding a job until all of the people with experience are absorbed.  Not that experience counts for much given the nature of people.

Monday, August 25, 2003

In some areas, yes. Mostly, it's been a jobless recovery though. Over time, the loss of jobs overseas and the increased productivity due to advanced computer systems will spell doom for us unless the retirement of the baby boomers actually occurs despite the fact they lost their retirement plans in the .com bust.

StickyWicket
Monday, August 25, 2003

>> Not that experience counts for much given the nature of people.

I've work with a person whose title was "Lead Programmer" and didn't even know WTF a binary file was or how you open it.... Duh ok george, what is extended ascii?  I mean getting 40k a year and don't know jack?  WTF.  Give the job to a computer geek who knows what's up.

Monday, August 25, 2003

"Over time, the loss of jobs overseas and the increased productivity due to advanced computer systems will spell doom for us unless the retirement of the baby boomers actually occurs despite the fact they lost their retirement plans in the .com bust."

Shouldn't you add in global warming, overpopulation, genetically modified foods, over priced prescription drugs, child abusing Catholic priests, the power of international corporations, broken campaign finance laws, the destruction of the rainforests, and the common cold?

Jim Rankin
Monday, August 25, 2003

4-5 calls in a week?!!!  GiorgioG, where are you located?

So far my responses to resumes are holding steady at zero for the past couple of months.  Except for rejections.

Maybe it is just random, or you have a TS/SBI clearance.

mackinac
Monday, August 25, 2003

Mac,
Take a good hard look at the form & content of your resume and whom you are sending it to.

who or whom?
Monday, August 25, 2003

I'm in Chicago and it's building up a bit - a very little bit. I did have my first interview in about 2 months a couple of weeks ago (for a Visual FoxPro job, not C++).

Since I've been out of a full-time job (doing some freelancing and some Mr Mom) for abotu 10 months, there have been a few of these upward bubbles of job. Nothing seems to last. Part of the problem is that, here in the Chicago area, Lucent keeps laying off people as well as Motorola, Telle Labs, ... so there is never a shortage of new people looking for jobs.

RocketJeff
Monday, August 25, 2003

Mac - I get about a call a week in DC without looking, and the past two weeks I've gotten 7-8 calls (without looking)

Philo

Philo
Monday, August 25, 2003

If you aren't looking, how do 7-8 people even think about calling you?  Your name must be out there somewhere.

Application area might be a factor.  It seems like most posters to JOS write business apps in VB or something like that.  My last employer did contract work for telecom equipment development.  About the worst field to be in in this downturn.

mackinac
Monday, August 25, 2003

Philo, is your resume posted on your own web site?  Is it on any job boards?

Scot
Monday, August 25, 2003

Yeah, here in the DC Beltway area, if you have programming experience and a clearance, people want you BAD. If you have no clearance, then the phone conversation lasts about one question.

But that's pretty much been the case for at least a year now, probably 2-3 years.

Paul Brinkley
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Sorry - yeah, my resume's listed on a few boards, but I don't keep it current. If recruiters are searching "resumes posted within the last month" (as opposed to within the last 48 hours), then they must be digging.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Just saw this excerpt from "The End of Work" on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0874778247/ref=lib_rd_ss_TT01/104-8804356-0917551?v=glance&s=books&vi=reader&img=4#reader-link

The interesting thing is that this was published in 1996 and voices many of the same concerns we've been hearing regarding automation and international competition eliminating jobs.  But we all know the rest of the 90's were considered a period of immense job growth.

So either his predictions were just late, or maybe we really are about to see another job boom soon.

Jim Rankin
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Is it possible to get a clearance when you're unemployed, or when it's not required by your current job? If so, that sounds like a good way to improve a resume, at least in DC.

Zahid
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

>>> Is it possible to get a clearance when you're unemployed <<<

No.

This very question was discussed in a column in last Sunday's Washington Post.  The response:

"You can't get one on your own.  You have to be hired by the federal government or a government contractor, and they have to sponsor your application for a clearance."

IOW, jobs that require an active clearance are jobs for people who already have jobs.

mackinac
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

mackinac's right, and it's a huuuuge PITA Catch-22.

We're still in the process of getting our final clearances, so we can be subcontractors on gov't projects.  Our "in" was having a product people really wanted, in many cases the key to a proposal, which caused sufficient pressure to a sponsor.

Even so, it requires a lot of diligence in submitting the forms, lots of putting up with horridly user-unfriendly submission software (imagine an Dept. of Defense intern and programming newbie writing a Win3.1 app circa 1985), and MONTHS of waiting, and often having to resubmit because they "lost your paperwork".

Figure on a year to get this done, and only with a corporate or government sponsor.  So if you're unemployed, it won't happen.  (If it does, fer chrissake, tell everyone here how you did it!)

Paul Brinkley
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home