Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Difficulty tracing IE 6.0 bugs, tools?

I have been using a tool call proxyTrace 0.1.2.23 to look at the web traffic to the web server.  But in the web log it does for every submit I get a HTTP Server Status Code of 500, follow by a 200. I'd like to see the complete truth (both accesses listed in the trace tool) but instead I get the half truth (the completed access, with the incomplete access omitted completely). Anyone know how other Windows or Linux tools thats helpful in seeing the conversation going between the web client and the web server? Many many thanks!

Li-fan Chen
Monday, August 25, 2003

We need more information. Which server are you using? IIS? Apache? Version?

Johnny Bravo
Monday, August 25, 2003

proxytrace is a cool tool, but it has some bugs in it which is probably what you're seeing.

using a straight TCP/IP monitoring tool is much more accurate even though it's more of a pain; if you have netmon available to you, you can use it. otherwise there are other tools whose names I forget. (maybe ethereal is one of them?)

mb
Monday, August 25, 2003

I *highly* recommend the Ethereal network sniffer. It can parse many network protocols into user-friendly data. It's open-source, too.

http://www.ethereal.com

runtime
Monday, August 25, 2003

It's funny you mentioned ethereal, I installed it and nothing
happened. Maybe it was something wrong with my Windows 2000 Professional box.. anyway I'll give ethereal another whirl. Thanks buddies! :-D

Li-fan Chen
Monday, August 25, 2003

Don't forget to install the pcap library.  It won't work without it.

http://winpcap.polito.it/

Andrew Hurst
Monday, August 25, 2003

another vote for ethereal.  Ive been impressed with it ever since I first installed it.

FullNameRequired
Monday, August 25, 2003

Only beef i have with Ethereal is its shitty UI. It's absolutely horrendous. I know, I know.. it's probably needed for cross-platform compatibility, but that doesn't make it better, tho'.

Mickey Petersen
Monday, August 25, 2003

I tried it again today, and got it working. I found I could list the packets life with the right optoins in the Start dialog box. And there are some neat things you can do to list the actual text being passed around (the hex pane is kinda useless). Plus had it doing what I wanted to do. Got the filter to do "(ip.src eq my.ip.xx.xx) or (ip.dst eq my.ip.xx.xx) and (tcp.port = 80)" or something like that.. exactly what I needed. There are all kinds of niceties: It shows all the related syncs and acks, and I haven't even started using the logging facilities or command options, very nice! :-) I'll have to get used to Richard Steven's level of comfort though. That man was able to parse this kind of stuff in his sleep.

Thanks everyone.

Li-fan Chen
Monday, August 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home