Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

svchost

I have a problem with this program while being working with internet the programm gives the ann. that he close the programm and that I most close all the progr. and start again

I have this problem with explorer and outlook express

Who can help me with this problem

Pierre Huijnen
Friday, August 22, 2003

Can't help.  Sorry.  But it's interesting that I'm having the same problem.

anon
Friday, August 22, 2003

This is you being attacked by the worm that has been going around while connected to the internet. You should probably check with anti virus software that you have not been affected.

JB
Friday, August 22, 2003

Definitely the worm. Last week on my W2K machine, svchost kept crashing and then my anti-virus caught the msblaster after it was loaded.

Patch your machine right away.

DJ
Friday, August 22, 2003

And once you've done that, let us know why you didn't patch--I for one am curious. (And believe there are lots of possibly valid reasons)

mb
Friday, August 22, 2003

Google("msblast svchost") --->
http://www.computing.net/windows2000/wwwboard/forum/50444.html

been there, done that
Friday, August 22, 2003

Yep I fixed a friends machine infected by blaster and one of the symptoms was svchost crashing. Run windows update.

Matthew Lock
Friday, August 22, 2003

... and install a firewall, ready for the next breach of security in Windows :-)

BTW, does someone know why Windows needs to keep all those ports open (TCP/UDP 135, 137-139, 445), even on a client host that shares no resource?

Frederic Faure
Saturday, August 23, 2003

"concat"? :-)

Frederic Faure
Saturday, August 23, 2003

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/samplechapters/cnfc/cnfc_por_simw.asp

You need to disable the services.

Amour Tan
Sunday, August 24, 2003

Thx for the link Amour (great name :-)), but the article would be even better if it explained the consequences of shutting down all those services.

Frederic Faure
Monday, August 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home