Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Goliath vs David

From the article.

Microsoft to take on Google
http://www.silicon.com/news/500019-500001/1/5702.html?nl=d20030822

Why do these idiots speak like this.

"On the information side of the house, there's no question that search is the cornerstone of our strategy. We're investing heavily in this space," Payne, a vice president for Microsoft's MSN Internet unit.

What is the house ?  Is that the Big Brother house or something.  Perhaps he's talking about the space between his ears.

Guess who is going to win.  I vote for the guy with the sling !

Ben
Friday, August 22, 2003

Uh huh.

Especially since all those other guys with slings have had so much success before. Some of them actually managed to get their own blood on Goliath.

anon
Friday, August 22, 2003

Umm...It's not terribly uncommon for people to refer to their division as "this side of the house." Particularly in large companies.

As for David and Goliath...well, MS has been gearing up for competing in the search industry for quite some time and Google is hardly a "David" in this case.  They may not have the bucks that MS has, but they have huge market share in an industry where the end-user isn't directly generating the revenue. (In other words, MS can't just pull a Netscape/IE scenario to win market share.)

Mark Hoffman
Friday, August 22, 2003

Look at it this way - MSN has been the default home page in IE for years, and you can use MSN search from the IE address bar. Google has prospered *despite* this. "Google on" is on its way to becoming the standard term for "search the web."

David's already kicked Goliath's butt - right now Goliath is trying to claw his way out of the body bag.

Philo

Philo
Friday, August 22, 2003

MS can talk tough as soon as I can stop having to use  Google to find things on their site.

Lee
Friday, August 22, 2003

Phew! For a second there I thought this thread was about some plot being hatched by my 5-year old black lab -- his name is Goliath!

David
Friday, August 22, 2003

Why Google will always dominate: it is, and will always be, one image, a few lines of text, and one edit box.

MSN still looks like this: http://www.msn.com/.  As long as Microsoft sites are a pile of pretensious verbiage, no one's ever gonna take them seriously.

Microsoft is never going to understand the power of simplicity.

Alyosha`
Friday, August 22, 2003

>>MS can talk tough as soon as I can stop having to use  >>Google to find things on their site.

I second, (and third and fourth :)) that.

Jason Catlett
Friday, August 22, 2003

Microsoft will never be the top search engine as long as it tries to position MSN as a portal.

What makes Google great is the fact that they link to everyone else without trying to generate their own content and sponsorship.

Russell Thackston
Friday, August 22, 2003

Yeah, MS...take that!      ...Google Rocks!!!!

Sand Lake
Saturday, August 23, 2003

This should be good news for everyone.  Either Google wins, in which case we all get to enjoy seeing MS with a bloody nose, or MS will make an *even better search engine* than Google, in which case searches will be even better.

Foolish Jordan
Monday, August 25, 2003

MSN can be a lot of fun. Doing a search on Google on it gives as the second result http://search.msn.com/ This page does not mention Google at all, but the MSN search engine seems to think it might be the same as Google.

Public search engines are good if they _really_ search the Web/Usenet/whatever and not return a filtered set of results just because the owner of the search engine can make more money that way. Microsoft might have to come to terms with that concept.

Jeroen
Tuesday, August 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home