Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good job boards?

OK, one last thread from Poor poor me and this account is retired.  Promise.

Any good job boards out there?  Or Contracting agencies in the southern california area?  I've done dice.com and monster.com, and my contracting agencies have all gone out of business in the past 3 years.

PPM

Poor, poor me.
Thursday, August 21, 2003

I still get the occasional good posting on www.craigslist.com -- there are a couple of localized SoCal subsites.

Sam Livingston-Gray
Thursday, August 21, 2003

monster.com may get you some calls from recuiters. Other than that, I think you need to learn to market yourself on the small scale. My experience with any kind of mass-market job search (boards, classifieds, recruiters) is that you're bottom-feeding.

Start selling yourself personally. Check out the book "Selling to VITO" and some of the other books recommended on here. Work on one-to-one'ing.

I got the best job I've ever had (and still have) through a personal referral.

Philo

Philo
Friday, August 22, 2003

Yeah, Philo, I've gotten most of my best jobs (mainly consulting) through friends and ex-coworkers as well.  Problem is, most of my friends are afraid of being laid off themselves now.  I hit the personal networking opportunities 3 months ago, it's a dead end.  There are consultants I know who are much better than I who are working 6 months out of the year, if they're lucky.  I'm in a couple professional societies (802.11b and Linux), everyone in those have their resumes handy.

I hit the normal channels, they suck.  Classifieds died in the 90's.  Monster seemed to have a good year.  Now I'm having trouble even finding jobs to apply for. 

What I'd really like to do is hook up with a marketing guy.  He can spread the bullshit, I'll do the work.  If we get $100/hour I'm a happy camper splitting it with him 50/50.

Poor Poor Me.
Friday, August 22, 2003

PPM, don't waste time on sites used by recruiters. They are a false plank of hope and do not work in your interests. You need to do the hard work yourself to find a new job.

Friday, August 22, 2003

If you're okay with consulting, then the best way to find work is to make yourself a job. Find an agreeable CIO or CEO and convince him that he needs your services.

Mind you, this is a sales job, so do NOT get your ego invested - be prepared to hear "no" a LOT.

But you only need one guy to say "yes"

Philo

Philo
Friday, August 22, 2003

I have a free job engine on my web site (javadesk.com)
I launched it recently and database has only few job positions and resumes, mostly in my area (Israel). Use it, I you will ike it.

Evgeny Gesin /Javadesk/
Friday, August 22, 2003

check this out: http://www.rssjobs.com

I have not used it, but looks like u will save a lot of time and get a lot more done using this.

Prakash S
Friday, August 22, 2003

A poster on Joel on software started
Ijustheard.com a while ago to reduce the frequency of this kind of post.

I'd go there.

Friday, August 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home