Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Google calculator

Google seems to be positioning itself in the calculations field :) along with the search engine capabilities:

http://www.google.com/help/features.html#calculator

The One You Loved (TOYL)
Thursday, August 21, 2003

What an enormous waste of time.  They don't even cover useful units like the Japanese "tsubo" (which everyone uses to measure floor space)

Foolish Jordan

Of course it is a waste of time. I bet this was a pet project of one programmer that slipped in.

It's so cool, thought. Enter "answer to life the universe and everything" and be prepared for a surprise ;-)

Leonardo Herrera

Next we expect from google is the current time and quote of the day.

Easy

BTW, if it *was* someone's pet project, Google just bought an employee for life by putting it live.

Nothing earns loyalty like showing respect to your developer's pet projects.

Philo

Philo

Expect much more, Easy--where else can you ask "speed of sound*planck's constant" and get an answer? If google did do MOTD, I bet it would be something like "enter a day (or click here for today) and get a famous quote from that day." Actually, that would probably be not much harder than the calculator.

brian

Hey isn't the number 42 the answer given in the HGTTG question "answer to life the universe and everything"?

I could be wrong, it's been a while.

Wayne

Yes, 42 was the answer to life, the universe, and everything in HGTTG. Supposedly, Douglas Adams just picked a random, meaningless number.

Avrom Finkelstein

The point is...42 is the answer but what was the question?

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

I think Google is positioning themselves as the universal, Internet, command interpreter. Put in an address, get a map. Put in a stock symbol, get a quote. Put in a formula, get the result.

dmooney

What do you get if you multiply nine by six.

Dennis Atkins

Back to the command line!

This stuff all makes much more sense if you have the Google toolbar or a browser like Safari that includes a permament Google search box. IE users are missing the boat here.

pb

42 gives 2B when rotated 180 degrees... which is a fair answer...

Phil

There's many more pet projects just waiting to burst out of the Google nursery... check out

labs.google.com

I tried out the Voice Search a while ago... it completely mangled my query terms, but was amusing at least.  I can't imagine that project ever seeing the light of day -- how/why would you every want to use a telephone to perform a web search?

Robert Jacobson

In fact, IE users (or, at least, Windows IE users) are not missing the boat if they use the free (and easily customizeable) Dave´s Quick Search Deskbar ( http://www.dqsd.net/ ).

Chester

And you can find out other really important things, like what 1.21 gigawatts * 88 mph is.  There are some rather amusing google calculator queries on the loose, look out.

Lou

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=1+furlong+per+fortnight+in+meters+per+hour

This thing rules!

Alyosha`

>>
I think Google is positioning themselves as the universal, Internet, command interpreter. Put in an address, get a map. Put in a stock symbol, get a quote. Put in a formula, get the result.
<<

I agree with this!  I don't think this is a waste of time or a pet project but the natural extension to what they've been doing.  The next time I want to convert miles to km or hex to binary, I'm typing it into the Google Toolbar.  That gets them ad views that they wouldn't have had otherwise. 

SomeBody

google news was also a pet project....

Prakash S

What do you get if you multiply nine by six.

9 x 6 or 9 * 6 ?

9 x 6 returns the DirectX home page at the top result.

dmooney

just use javascript

Type in:
javascript: 8*9 and you get the result

tekumse

> answer to life the universe and everything

I'm sorry, did you say I should be *surprised* by the answer?

Too bad Google Calc. doesn't include things like currency conversion.

www.marktaw.com

> What do you get if you multiply nine by six.
> 54

Please, read

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Answer_to_Life,_the_Universe,_and_Everything

Leonardo Herrera
Friday, August 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home