Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What'd you do with unlimited money and influence?

OK. i asked a question last week why people do what they do. It generated really interesting responses.

Now my question is, if you had money, and could influence anybody, what would you do? That is a pretty unrealistic situation, but what if? What if it really became true?

I asked this question myself, and it took me a while to figure out what it was. But, I did learn a few things about myself ...

I think I want to be famous, if not generally, then at least within a small cirlce of people. I'd use my powers to achieve precisely that ...

Future cunning politician
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

6 month skiing holiday in austria

FullNameRequired

being famous without money would suck. think gary coleman. if i had unlimited money i would ensure that no one ever knew who i was, and then i'd go abou tdoing whatever i wanted.

Two chicks at the same time.

(somebody had to say it)

Alyosha`

Well, think about something you'll never do, 'cause you don't have have these things ... But you can have money, and everything else in this fantasy (i.e. 2 chicks at the same time :-) )

First... I'd get a good night's sleep every night for a month. Man, that last worm was a pain in the neck. Literally. My neck still hurts.

Second, I'd hire someone to handle the paperwork.

Then, oh man, there's all kinds of things that need doing that aren't happening because nobody's bankrolling them. I'd be a Geek Macarthur Foundation.

Peter da Silva
Thursday, August 21, 2003

I'd change my middle name to Microsoft.

Guy Incognito

Unlimited money *and* influence? Oh, I'd put money into curing all disease, eradicating poverty and famine etc. which might take a while...but then the earth would be even more overcrowded because less people would be dying, so I'd have to invest my unlimited money in space exploration and colonising other planets.

I'd probably buy a dual processor PC too.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)

Find another planet and not tell anyone.

Simon Lucy

lose both, and then still have both. that's the good thing about infinite things.

na

Decimate humanity and give it another try

Geert-Jan Thomas

buy a nicer laptop, give most of the money to chairitable institutions, and use the influence to help people who are not as fortunate as a lot of other people.

Prakash S

I would assasinate everyone that I think is corrupt and unjust.
And create foundation to manage funding of research to create a better world especially for the unfortunate countries - and also assasinate anyone who corrupts my money (there's a disclaimer on anyone who want to work for me - you will have unlimited budget as long as you have excellent fact based justification - but we will kill you if you corrupt my money !!)

vicks

Alyosha,

>> Two chicks at the same time. <<

You can easily do this without unlimited money and influence...but you might want to leave it as a fantasy if you don't want to be disappointed...

Mark

Mark Pearce

Shave my head, buy a very fluffy white cat, and... BWAHAHAHA!

Shh! You know who!

Decimate humanity... cure all disease etc. etc.

I see a lot of Ms. Universe or Ms. World participants out here :)

As for me I'll spend it on my own luxuries & comforts.

The One You Loved (TOYL)

Buy Microsoft, IBM, Sun, Oracle, SAP... Buy a country, become a dictator, remove any monopolistic related laws.

Kolt

Zap idiots that start pointless threads like this one :)

Stephen Jones

FCP,

>> I think I want to be famous, if not generally, then at least within a small cirlce of people. I'd use my powers to achieve precisely that ... <<

But you're already famous (at least, among the small circle of JOS readers) for posting inane questions to JOS.

Mark

Mark Pearce

>> "Decimate humanity and give it another try."

>> "...and use the influence to help people who are not as fortunate as a lot of other people. "

I would not hurt anyone like the first guy above.  I would not try to "help" anyone like the other guy above, because when you do that, there are always unintended consequences which, more often than not, are worse than the original situation. 

I would let people the heck alone because that's all I want.  I would let them alone to solve their own problems and live their own lives without the interference of idiot despots and idiot do-gooders. 

Also, the "two chicks at one time" idea sounds pretty good.  I'll take Tea Leoni and Nicole Kidman please.  :-)

bob

I'd go to the PDC :-).

Just me (Sir to you)

"Decimate humanity and give it another try "

Unfortunately for you (or fortunately for us), decimate litterally only means "one in ten".

Nit Picker

For those who don't get the "two chicks at one time" reference.... go rent "Office Space".

Given a whole bunch of money, I think it would be really funny to go round to all the people that have really f**ked you over and sue them for something silly. Then tie them up in REALLY frivolous lawsuits for years, sending them broke in the process.

That would make me smile.

Damian

>> "Unfortunately for you (or fortunately for us), decimate litterally only means 'one in ten'."

Yeah.  It means "one in ten" if you're a member of Caesar's praetorian guard.  But if you happen to live in the twenty first century, the first guy's usage was fine - but perhaps a little disturbing.

From Merriam-Webster Online:

decimate:
3 a : to reduce drastically especially in number 
b : to destroy a large part of

bob

> a : to reduce drastically especially in number 
> b : to destroy a large part of

Still sounds too weak to me. ;-)

Just me (Sir to you)

You mean literally? Well.. then I would first hire a construction contractor to remove all the money and replace it with hydrogen. After that the big bang, so I would probably work on creating some cool stuff, but I don't have a lot of good ideas and I am pretty lazy, so the first thing I'll create is creatures that can think for themselves..and are hard working and curious... after that.. I dunno.. what would you do?

Li-fan Chen

I thought "decimate" originated from the idea that you would reduce the population so that only one in ten were *left*

Philo

Philo

I thought "decimate" originated from the idea that you would reduce the population so that only one in ten were *left* - Philo

Nope -- they would line up everyone, count down the line, and kill every tenth person.

Back on topic -- I'd probably buy myself a president, so I could get things done the right way. And if it turned out that my way wasn't the right way after all, or my guy got impeached, well, I'd still be unimaginably wealthy.

Zahid

>> "Unfortunately for you (or fortunately for us), decimate litterally only means 'one in ten'."

To be more accurete: one in twelve. The word "decimate" originates from December. December is the 12th month :-)

Seriously. I think Joel should create a "silly" forum where we could post our creative but silly answers.

:-)

If I had an unlimited amount of money I'd use it to buy a lottery ticket for every possible number on one of those 7 number state lotteries.  Because then I'd win for sure and those lotteries give out some good money sometimes.

Mister Fancypants

"Given a whole bunch of money, I think it would be really funny to go round to all the people that have really f**ked you over and sue them for something silly. Then tie them up in REALLY frivolous lawsuits for years, sending them broke in the process."

Say, you aren't really that SCO CEO guy, are you?

Jim Rankin

I would reform all school systems in the western world so that kids learned:

A) That physical exercize does not need to include humiliation and competition.
B) That math can be understood and be interesting.
C) Sex is not dangerous and girls dont explode if you push the wrong buttons.
D) That life has no known purpuse, and thus you can not fail.

Eric Debois

Agreed, except I'd add that competition is not per se evil, and competition generally makes us push harder than we might otherwise do. Even if you're just competing with yourself ("I'm trying to beat my personal record"), I think it's competition that makes us tick.

However, competition can be friendly - it need not be destructive. :)

Philo

Philo

Girls don't explode if you push the wrong buttons?

My wife has been lying to me all these years...

No wonder I could never be sure which buttons were the wrong ones.

Steve Barbour

>> To be more accurete: one in twelve. The word "decimate" originates from December. December is the 12th month  :-)

actually, december WAS the 10th month (thus the "dec" prefix that we still use) until July and August were stuck in there for Julius and Augustus Ceasar (iirc), turning a 10 month year into a 12 month year. 

so the historical definition of decimate really was every 10th man. 

EAW

Make Richard Dean Anderson star in new Macgyver episodes.

Mickey Petersen

I love it when threads geek out like this. So far, everyone is accurate about "decimate". Soldiers were lined up and every 10th man was shot to inspire the other 9 to keep fighting. However, this word isn't from the Romans, it was from the 1600s and Napoleon Bonaparte was the one who polularized its use in this context. What a guy! He also helped fund the mechanized loom that made France the center of the fashion industry (Cf. Joseph Jacquard) and this loom led to the invention of the calculator (Cf. Software Engineering). Napoleon also gave us canned food, for "an army marches on its stomach" and normal food spoiled too easily.

StickyWicket

1. I would end all human suffering in all forms
2. Research inter-stellar travel
3. Colonize space
4. Take a nap

dmooney

I agree with a lot of what Eric Debois proposed, but I thought that girls exploded precicely WHEN you pushed the right buttons.

With unlimited money & influence... well I guess the two girl thing would be a no-brainer and Tea Leoni & Nikki Kidman sound like a good pair to me, though they're both considerably taller than I am... After all, it only requires exercising some influence over two people.

Actually, I wouldn't do that. I'd focus on being really happy... really really happy, travelling, making my friends happy... really really happy, and hey with infinite money and influence, I could create a new world order. I'll leave it up to those who know me to figure out what this new world order would be.

www.marktaw.com

Mark - "But you're already famous (at least, among the small circle of JOS readers) for posting inane questions to JOS."

Heh, man, you've figured me out :-) I am famous, I am famous, yeah, yeah, yeah!

Marktaw,

In my world you would be equipped with pogosticks.

Mickey Petersen

I'd ask some genius to create my personal version of Big Brother. For instance if I want to know the complete information about Bella I just click the button and voila it will appear.
And for just fun I can post personal information of anybody I want on the Net or broadcast it on TV. I think it will be very huge huge worldwide hit

kakaktua

StickyWicket writes:
>> "However, this word isn't from the Romans, it was from the 1600s and Napoleon Bonaparte was the one who popularized its use in this context."

...Have to disagree.  Look at the link:

http://www.vroma.org/~bmcmanus/romanarmy2.html

anon
Friday, August 22, 2003

Disappear.

I admire many successful people, but I don't know who they are. They are anonymous. They don't seek fame, revenge or influence over others. Getting in other people's face is a collosal waste of time when one has unlimited money.  There's way too much life to live to constantly be stroking one's ego.

Influence? No thanks. There would be no one around to bother.

fool for python
Friday, August 22, 2003

I'd lock Bill Gates, Linus Torvalds, and Steve Jobs in a darkened room, each with 1/3rd of a brick.  The one who comes out with a whole brick determines my OS for the rest of my life.

Justin Johnson
Sunday, August 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home