Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Deadlines

Ever notice that at 3am the day before a deadline in the faint line of diminished hope, a plastic gorilla on the floor looks a lot like cat shit?

_*_
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Tried to wash the gorilla out of your carpet did you?

Jeff

All stressed up with no place to go and I chased the cat around, cursing.  After 5 min of not being able to land a solid blow, I went to clean up and realized I'm an idiot.

_*_

This board is quickly going to hell. *Please* delete this thread.

John Rosenberg

Ha, tell me about it!

Once I was stressed, and had a whole box of Big K cola (Kroger diet sodas). I bought them in bulk, to have them real cheap. I opened a can, and it tasted like shit. I thought it was spoiled. And I poured the can into the ground.

Then I opened a second can, and guess what, it tastes as sh!tty as the first one :-) Now, on normal days I could drink Big K stuff OK, but then I realized that I had issues with my head, and bailing out was the best option. So I bailed out.
Just don't tell me Big K stuff is sh!it, I probably know that already :-) It just it tasted more sh!itty than before!

What is the conclusion? Trust your gut feeling, if you start to see weird things, it's time for a good sleep. A really GOOD one :-)

Mr Curiousity

"I love deadlines.  I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

Alyosha`

There is a shenanigan going on right now consisting of an organized group of slash-dotters who have targetted JoS with the intention of making it go to hell.

thought you'd like to know the reason for these lame threads
Thursday, August 21, 2003

Only once in my life I was "out", and yes, it was sorta deadline plus sorta coda :)

cypher

JoS used to be so cool in the old days

obligitory old time reference

Salad cream?

Geert-Jan Thomas

A group is its own worst enemy.  I believe this has already been said by more illustrious people than me.

http://www.shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

Perhaps it is worth reiterating.  I especially liked this bit.

"And then, as time sets in, difficulties emerge. In this case, one of the difficulties was occasioned by the fact that one of the institutions that got hold of some modems was a high school. And who, in 1978, was hanging out in the room with the computer and the modems in it, but the boys of that high school. And the boys weren't terribly interested in sophisticated adult conversation. They were interested in fart jokes. They were interested in salacious talk. They were interested in running amok and posting four-letter words and nyah-nyah-nyah, all over the bulletin board."

Ben

Maybe someone stepped into a swarm hive ( http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame69.html ) and now they are coming after us with an army of Yuk Yuks ( http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame77.html )

Just me (Sir to you)

There is nothing wrong with this post!
I though it was a funny anecdote about being to tired to see, and trying to keep programming. To me, that relates to what being behind on a deadline is like.
Besides, it is the only post on the board that Philo has no opinion about

Dougwithau

The cat got locked in the bedroom, and shitted on the floor yesterday.  I had to clean it up.  However, it did not look like a plastic gorilla.

The cat shit to gorilla transform is not conservative.

7 parts per million

BTW, I would pay top dollar for a cat poop to gorilla conversion utility. And I would double it for a golden retriever poop to monkey converter.

Is there a web service available for this?

super duper pooper scooper
Friday, August 22, 2003

It might have something to do with 3am.  We just went on shifts to test out this project.

So I was feeling a bit thirsty... a Sprite out of the vending machine sounded good.  It cost $1.00... and in checking my wallet, I didn't have any ones.

But there is a change machine there.  It takes $1s and $5s.  Cool... I have a $5.  I slipped it into the machine.

It gave me $5 worth of coins.  Quarters and nickles.

It was either 3am or my expectation of getting 5 $1 bills as "change".  It took several seconds of holding $5 worth of coins in my hand... yes, it was "change" and the machine did "warn" me that it was a "change machine". 

For a machine... I guess the concept of change cannot change with the denomination of the bill.  Even for a change machine.  Would that make it an oxymoron?

Weird thoughts happen at 3am.

Joe AA
Friday, August 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home