Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

freeware UML software

Anyone know of any freeware UML software that lets you diagrams in GIF format?

UML Newbie
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Are those diagrams for a Java project? Then try Eclipse UML, it's free. Together might be an alternative. In the same price range: Rational.

Johnny Bravo

... the latter two are not freeware.

Johnny Bravo

Slight thread-jack:

Are there any "Industry Standards" for UML modeling?

I've heard Rational is popular..

Lee

Rational is popular because of some early drives in software process modeling and a well-paid sales force.

However, my experience with Rational is that to use it well, you have to work the way they want you to - the tools aren't about being utilities, they're about enforcing and enabling the "Rational Unified Process"

If you've ever ventured near the Franklin planner/Covey method world, it's the same type of thing.

Philo

Philo

Hrm, I was actually wondering this the other day.  I'm looking for a tool that will model for me.  I just want it to load up my classes i've written, then fire up a model.  More for documentation purposes.  I tried ArgoUML and that was a pain and the ass.  I pity the people who have to write front end java.

vince

Visio will reverse-engineer a lot of object models. You might also look at Document!X by Innovasys - I used to use their DocumentVB! product and loved it.

Philo

Philo

There's a middle ground between ArgoUML (free, but practically unsable) and Rational (high licensing costs) - Enterprise Architect (http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/).

It's a commercial product, but comes with an evaluation license (some features are restricted). I recommend you download an evaluation, play around with it, and you might find that it's worth your while shelling out for a license.

Walter Rumsby

Again when it comes to industry standards consider sybase powerdesigner 45-day eval will get your documentation done by reversing from code.

I have some whitepapers on www.mentalarrow.co.za

Karel

Not exactly what you want, but it is free:

http://www.essmodel.com/

ESSModel is more of a 'reverse-engineering' UML tool.  It translates already existing class-code into UML diagrams.

Herbert Sitz

Sorry, should have added that ESSModel works only with Java and Delphi.

Herbert Sitz

"If you've ever ventured near the Franklin planner/Covey method world, it's the same type of thing. "

- nice analogy Philo:-)

Prakash S

Aren't free software developers avoiding the GIF format because of licensing royalties or something like that?

mackinac

I've been using Gentleware at www.gentleware.com. They have a free community edition. It has a Java front end (for me this is a plus because I develop on Linux most of the time) based on the Argo codebase. Its nowhere near as clunky as ArgoUML, however, since the vast majority of their improvements are focused on user interface. And their L&F is one of the best I've seen for Java.

Give em a try. WTH, its free, right?

Dustin Alexander

www.lysator.liu.se/~alla/dia dia its on open source thing that has a windows port if you are into that sort of thing. Also look into the dia2code add on which will then generate stub classes for various languages (java, c++, ...) from your diagram

Captain James T Kirk

Be careful with Dia. We use it at varsity, and it spontaneously quits a lot. Save often, and try not to right-click too much. Apart from that, it seems to work ok.

ChrisP.
Thursday, August 21, 2003

If you only need it for documentation, I can't recommend Doxygen enough.

http://www.doxygen.org

It will do class and coloboration diagrams for you; Not much of the other UML diagrams. But it's free, robust, works beatifully with the most convoluted template structures, and is non-intrusive like most design tools are, in the sense that it doesn't require you to change the way you work.

Ori Berger

The free version of poseidon works well.  I can't say how well it might build models from already created code...  It's based on ArgoUML I believe.

seamus

>Aren't free software developers avoiding the GIF format because of licensing royalties or something like that?<

I can't speak to that, but I'm taking an online UML course, which requires me to use a UML tool that exports to GIF format.

UML Newbie
Monday, September 01, 2003

>I've been using Gentleware at www.gentleware.com. They have a free community edition.<

For some reason, I can't download the Windows version. (I'm using IE 6.0 and Windows XP Professional)

UML Newbie
Wednesday, October 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home