Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Best Game Industrie job ads

I know there are quite a few people here active as developers in the games industry, so maybe you know the aswer to this one. What would be the best places to post a job ad to attract people interested in exploring new development processes for virtual environments?

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Sorry for all the typos.
Long day, hit milestone, need rest.

Just me (Sir to you)

Universities. People there are young, hungry, idealistic.

Johnny Bravo

Try gamasutra...

Andy

GarageGames.com attracts lots of Indie developers, you might try there.

Gamasutra is definitely a good place for info on the industry.

Mark Hoffman

www.garagegames.com
www.gamedev.net
www.flipcode.com

Be very specific about what you're doing and have a good plan.  People post to these and other forums ALL THE TIME with nebulous requests for (mostly unpaid) work, along the lines of:

"Hey guys I have this great idea for a game!!!!! I have a 200 page design doc (probably written in l33t sp33k).  However I can't program or do art or do sound or anything, so I need people to make this game for me!!! If you are wondering about the game it is a cross between GTA3 and Final Fantasy 10!!!"

Also keep in mind that if you're trying to become involved in a volunteer team and no pay is involved the chance of your team actually producing something before the members get bored and bail out is about the same as dying in an airplane that was struck by lightning twice and you owned the airplane because you bought it after hitting the jackpot in a lottery.

Mister Fancypants

"people interested in exploring new development processes for virtual environments"

Sounds like you need naive people. Stick to recent grads.

xyz

out of curiousity, when you say virtual environments, are you talking games or what most university research labs call virtual environments? one good school that deal w/ vr is Iowa State Uni (www.vrac.iastate.edu) (personal bias, also i know 2 ppl that have gotten game industry jobs who worked with me at the vr lab on campus). some other schools include www.evl.uic.edu, Uni North Carolina, Old Dominion Uni (odu.edu ?), www.vetl.uh.edu .

anyways, what are you looking for exp wise, etc. if you have a website w/ the job(s) listing(s) then feel free to email anyone at vrac who is on the faculty list, as they will forward it to the grads and undergrads working there.

good luck.
tim

Tim Miller

West Virginia University(WVU) also has a very good virtual environment research program.
Check it out at http://wvvel.csee.wvu.edu/

Anon

Most games programmers look for jobs in the back of Edge magazine.

Mr Jack
Thursday, August 21, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions.
It is for a university, basic research contract. That is why it sounds so fluffy and pie in the sky.
For those that have a problem with that, think about it. If it weren't far fetched it wouldn't have to be research now would it. The market could pay for it.
Would you rather have all the university CS departments just cranking out clones of commercialy proven software?

Just me (Sir to you)

If it's a university project, then I would guess that university students would be much cheaper and more willing to do it.  I work in the game industry and most of my colleagues would rather build a real game than work on an experimental project, and they command higher salaries.

But you never know, I would post as "cool" a description of the project as possible, and some people may be attracted for the love of it.

Andy

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home