Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

mayo

I prefer salad cream.

You chaps get that where you are?

blargle
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

That phrase makes me a little afraid.  Don't know why.

_*_

It works best if you say "Salad cream" with the right emphasis in the right places.

Think "Grandma's chicken salad" from Friends and you'll get what I'm getting at.

Flamebait Sr.

ooo found a link ...

http://www.saladcream.com/

blargle

Nope, the trepidation remains.

Cheese whiz, or for that matter, the entire Whiz family of products leaves me with the same anxiety.

_*_

Is cheese in pressurized spray cans a uniquely North American product?

... any why on earth don't they put ketchup in spray cans?

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)

(at last a topic on which I can comment!)
not from the UK but if I recall in one the Fawlty Towers episodes Basil chastizes a youngster for wanting to put salad cream on his bread

Dilettante

Funny story about a guy I worked with.  Great fellow, Chinese, not so hot English.  We'd order out from the sub shop.  John would ask what he wanted on the sandwich - "Mayo?"  "Mayo, mayo," he'd nod.

Found out later, when his language skills improved that "mayo" means "nothing" in Chinese.  He wanted nothing on his sandwich, and  hated, HATED the mayonnaise he always ended up with.

Goes to show, eh?

Contrary Mary

So one early morning I'm getting on a plane at Copenhagen heading towards the capital of a former member of the USSR on a consulting gig and, bleary after an all night flight from the USA with the usual garbage flight food, I am presented a mozzarella and tomato sandwich on a baguette roll.  This is the single best thing I have seen to eat in 24 hours, and immediately dive in.  Chew my way half way through, put it down, sigh, look around, and realize I am apparently the only person on the entire flight that is eating the sandwich with my hands.

_Everyone_else_ is using a knife and fork.  The ones close by are glaring at me like I just messed my pants.

This is my one and only international sandwich story.

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)

danes are way into sandwiches. my grandma used to have 4 course sandwich meals. all open faced, of course. with weird shit on them, like "lambs bone marrow jelly"

"lambs bone marrow jelly"

Nomenclature semantics, I'm not fooled.  Thats just 'Bone Whiz'

_*_

Jeez... every-so-often you guys amuse the hell outta me.

Jack.

Jack of all
Thursday, August 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home