Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

google in manhattan

i'm thinking about applying for a job at google in manhattan. does anyone reading this forum work there?

my questions are:

what are the salaries like?

is the environment laid back enough to "have a life" outside of work?

my situation is this: I have a master's from MIT and have been busting my hump consulting in boston for the past 4 years. I make about $200K a year but I literally do nothing other than work and go to the gym.

I want to be able to hang out in NYC and get artsy fartsy with some courses at SVA or Parson's but still have a decent tech job and a salary that isn't embarrassing.

any comments from google employees would be appreciated. thanks.

google curious
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Talk to Joel, I'm guessing you'll be pleasantly surprised by what is possible...  Just guessing though.

_*_
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Well, the NY jobs will almost certainly all be pure sales. That menas modest base plus decent commissions. But the big upside is IPO participation. Googlers in Calif tend to work hard and play hard. Not sure if the culture will travel to NY.

pb
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Well, the NY jobs will almost certainly all be pure sales.

Not true. I was contacted by a Google recruiter who was looking for engineers for their NYC offices.

Dylan Adams

Dylan,

What is your experience level/education/background?  Just curious what google is looking for.

anon

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/newyork/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=921&ixReplies=1

Michael H. Pryor

What is your experience level/education/background? 

Amusingly enough, googling for my name will give you more information about my background, education, etc then you could ever want.

Just curious what google is looking for.

As far as what Google is looking for, check their jobs page: http://www.google.com/jobs/ . The requirements seem pretty clear.

Dylan Adams

gc, I envy you, I'm not even making $75K. *sigh*

I don't know how old you are or how much money you've got saved - and that's certainly no one's business but your own, of course - but given that Social Security might not be around when you're of retirement age, you may want to reconsider abandoning your $200K/yr. salary.

NoName
Friday, August 29, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home