Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone out there had success with treatment for carpal tunnel? What worked for you?

I have continual numbness of the hand caused by spasmed muscles in my forearm. The 2 things I was considering were deep tissue massage and/or electronic muscle stimulation. Anyone tried and had success with these?

It's like a cancer eating my productivity.

The Gimp
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Repetitive strain injuries tend not to have a "magic" fix.

That doesn't mean that there aren't things you can do to help, but I found personally that until I accepted the above, I didn't give any specific treatment long enough to have any impact.

Many people find that a combination of things help - changing your work habits so that you stretch regularly.  Using ergonomic aids such as wrist pads (this made my problem worse, but many people swear by them).
Improving posture.  Reducing stress. Avoiding long periods of activity that tends to worsen the numbness.

The things that particularly helped me:
-Not leaning on my elbows while reading (I had particular problems with my ulnar nerve), changing my sleep posture so that my arms were looser and straighter (easier said than done!)
-Minimizing use of the mouse
-Severing the tendon in my thumb :) This last was an accident, and while the resulting damage was and still is very annoying, the resulting enforced rest and change in the way that hand moves practically cured my problem.

A surgeon I talked to way back when I first started having numbness and serious pain said that often RSI injuries spiral "out of control" since the nerves get in an endless feedback cycle.  I forget exactly the terminology he used, but this is why rest is often prescribed.  Just not rest to the point where you don't use the arm at all.

Anon
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

be very wary. start going to the gym and improve your posture so you don't lean on your arms.

also try to find out what's causing the problem. it can escalate. but it's hard to find a doctor who knows anything about it.

do you really have carpal tunnel? me, i have shoulder problems (this is fairly common). just found out this weekend from a walk-in chair massage place what probably causes occaional numbness in my fingers--compression of nerves all the way up under the pectoral muscles! i actually saw a doctor about this a few years ago, he ran carpal tunnel/other arm nerve tests which all turned out fine (as i expected), and never answered my question about possible nerve compression elsewhere in my body.

the following book was reccomended to me, i read part of it but don't remember much, though I'm probably using part of what it said...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471595330/

mb
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I got carpal tunnel from being on a laptop keyboard alla time - I got a natural keyboard for home and office, and haven't had the problem since.

But definitely, when you're trying to knock the thing, take breaks every hour - get up and walk around breaks, not JoS breaks (more typing)

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I've had aches in my wrist and forearm when I've done a lot of typing.  Therapeutic massage helped as did anti-inflammatories (like Ibuprofen).  Stretching is a good preventative.  The masseuse recommended something called MSM (?) which is supposed to help strengthen ligaments (I think).  Never tried it though.

Lee
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Go see a real, qualified medical doctor.  Get analyzed for hand problems.  Do it before it gets bad because once it gets bad, your only options are drastic surgery with bad side-effects.

Take breaks.  You might consider taking a week completely away from the computer and any other repetitive hand usage (like typing) to jump start it. 

Avoid painkillers while trying to work -- pain's your body's way of telling you to quit abusing your hands.

The shoulder and elbows effect the wrists and the wrists effect the hands.

Some of this can be solved by proper hand and wrist exercises, egronomic changes, etc.

You can also alleviate it somewhat by training your non-dominant hand to do some reptitive motions.  Switching mouse hands for a bit can alleviate it somewhat (but can be the road to having 2 useless hands instead of just one)

It can be managed.  You can make some corrections and be almost completely symptom free.

Flamebait Sr.
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

In a similar vein....does anybody recommend a good chair?  In the last few years my posture has gotten so bad from being hunched over my computer!  I try to straighten up but I feel like I could use a little assistance.

shiggins
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Strength training for forearems and yoga (stretching) worked miracles for me.

Failing that, heavy narcotics <g>

_*_
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

shiggins,

check this out... http://www.swopperusa.com

I'm not in any way affiliated... have been using it a few weeks, really like it.  You may be able to try it out here: http://www.relaxtheback.com/locator/

Scot
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

No real advice on the carpal tunnel per se, but if you're a bicyclist (or looking to get exercise from bicycling), riding an upright bike can (obviously) exaggerate wrist, shoulder and neck problems -- check out the variety of available recumbents, which generally don't put weight anywhere but on your butt.  (=

http://www.ihpva.org/FAQ/

Sam Livingston-Gray
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

shiggins--
'core training'. in other words, strengthen your abdominal muscles. i think the book i mentiond has some good excercises in it. you can also most certainly find them on the web. situps are classic.

once you do that, you'll naturally sit up. then the seat of the chair will matter, and the back won't. (a stool will force this)

classic secretaries chairs are good--no arms. 'executive' chairs (high back, arm rests) are often terrible, especially the cheap fake ones.

mb
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

check this out... http://www.swopperusa.com - Scot

Scot -
Is that really comfortable when you've been sitting on it all day? I've never tried a stool, and that one in particular looks like, if I lean over a bit, I'll take a fall. What's your verdict so far?

Zahid
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Your back is overall designed to be a constantly self-supporting system.  You don't need a back to your chairs, you are just used to having one and you've probably let your muscles get weak.

Of course, I'm still a wimp and have a chair with a back. ;)

Flamebait Sr.
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

See http://www.egoscue.com/ for what I use.

His e-cises may seem a little odd (why am I standing on a slantboard or bending over for this exercise when it's my hands that hurt?), but they fix the posture issues that create the friction and pain.

They are not a quick fix...  expect to do them regularly.  But as you strengthen your postural muscles, you can get away with doing them less often.

Phillip J. Eby
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I'll chime in with more of the same:
1. Watch your posture.
2. frequent breaks are good.
3. Go to the gym.
4. Try an ergonomic keyboard. The MS Natural keyboard is pretty good for an inexpensive keyboard.
5. Don't put ANY pressure on your arms when you're typing. If you're resting your forearms on the desk while typing, stop doing that (this is my big problem).
6. If nothing else helps, you could always change jobs temporarily. Do something that involves less typing.

Good luck.

-Mark

Mark Bessey
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Yeah, don't let your wrists and forearms rest on the desk when you type.  Put some mud in front of your keyboard so you'll kick the habit.  : )

Andy
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

What's your verdict so far?  --Zahid

As far as falling over, it doesn't, because it leans with you when you lean in a certain direction, and this has the counter-intuitive effect of helping you keep your balance.  It won't physically lean more than about 15 or 20  degrees, and as you approach this limit it slows down the lean.  Also, it seems that the spring gives a little when leaning, which makes your posterior closer to the ground and thus gives you more leverage against falling.  Its hard to describe.  The freedom of movement is wonderful.

As far as comfort, the cushion is pretty hard because it is curved upward in order in order to make you sit correctly.  When i first started using it i couldn't take it for more than 20 minutes, now i'm up to about 2.5 hours.  I think that as it improves my core stregth it is easier to sit on.

The sitting is a little higher than a normal chair, which has the great side effect of making it easier to have my hands over the keyboard correctly.

My best advice is to try one out before buying.

Scot
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

I'll put in another vote for trying an ergonomic keyboard, if you haven't already.

I used to get absolutely agonizing pain shooting through the backs of my hands and my wrists when I would type.

I finally got an ergonomic keyboard (Microsoft Natural Keyboard) and literally overnight the problem went away. It was incredibly impressive.

Might not work for everyone, but it sure worked for me.

Mike Treit

In addition to an ergonomic keyboard, you might want to learn a Dvorak keyboard layout.  I've been using a Dvorak-like layout most of the time since about 1982.  When I needed to use a QWERTY keyboard layout (especially on Sun's awful "Type 5" wrist-killer keyboard), I always noticed more wrist pain than when using my Dvorak-like layout.
(Totally unscientific, anecdotal, blah blah blah.  But it feels like it works for me.)

Doug L.

Gimp,
I've had some mild problems which were fixed by simply buying a wrist rest for my keyboard and periodically swapping the side I have the mouser on.

You sound to have much more serious problems, similar to those my wife experienced. In her case, the solution was to see a good osteopath. Obviously, IANAO, but she had problems in her lower arms that were fundamentally the result of weakness in her shoulders. She is fine now, but  she needed a lot of treatment, and it's taken a couple of years for her to get back to full strength in her arms.

So my advice would be:
- see an osteopath
- try not to rely on painkillers: as some other posters have pointed out, if you continue typing when you have pain, you run the risk of serious, permanent damage to your arms. I can't emphasise that too strongly, since I'm married to someone who nearly suffered this fate.
- do use some ergonomic aids - wrist rests, natural keyboards, see what works for you.

Matt

It would be interesting to see if RSI type injuries were more prevalent among people who did not touch type as opposed to those who did.

I would have though typing with say, four fingers (as opposed to 10), was more stressful on elbows wrists etc.

If this is the case then why not just go on a touch typing course (or is that only for secretaries).

Ben

No, carpal is for people who touch type. The issue is that the tendons that move your fingers travel through "sleeves" in the wrist to protect them from wear. However, if the "sleeve" is kinked, the tendon rubs on it. And if it's rubbing back and forth really fast (like touch typing) - think of how you start a fire.

Carpal Tunnel is new because twenty years ago you had to stop typing every few seconds to hit the carriage return bar, and every minute or so to put in a fresh sheet or paper.

Philo

Philo

I've been using an iGesture fingerpad for the past two weeks.  It replaces the mouse and lets you substitute gestures for common commands.  It hasn't been a magic bullet for me, but I think it has helped.  For some things, it feels very natural, for others it doesn't seem quite as quick as a mouse.  I'll probably post a message about my experience with it in a week or two.  I want to be sure I've given myself enough time to adapt properly.

more details available on www.fingerworks.com

Bruce Perry

I have found that my right wrist tends to get sore when I use a typical mouse since the weight of my arm rests on my wrist bones.  When I replaced it with a trackball mouse the weight rested on the palm of my hand and things got better.

Good luck.

Ran Whittle

Philo - carpal tunnel is not "new".  It's been around in various forms for hundreds of years. Two big (and non-computer related) industries where it is prevalent are carpentry and music.

It's probably also worth noting that some recent studies suggest that some carpal tunnel like symptoms are not actually related to nerve problems.  One theory is that some cases are related to "hysteria" (which doesn't make the pain any less real - just means that there isn't a lot they can do about it.  A form of mental illness, if you will). Another theory is that the problem is actually in the brain - for whatever reason your brain starts interpreting normal nerve signals as pain.  There can be other potential causes too.  For instance, there was a link found between celiac disease and neuropathy (often initially diagnosed as "carpal tunnel", depending on location of symptoms) I even still have the link for this one because I found it particularly interesting: http://www.celiac.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=842&p_catid=7&sid=91hH9H0mA09wAzz-51103392139.d3 .

Phibian

IANAD so please DNCAL (Do not call a lawyer...)

A physical therapist friend of mine told me that surgery is very hit and miss.  People see relief in the form of physical therapy _after_ the surgery, but within 2 years are back again. 

My thoughts?  Try a massage therapist, physical therapist or chiropractor before going into surgery.

Some other suggestions:
- A wrist rest. (gel type is better as it does not act as a pressure point)
- It is your neck and shoulder _not_ your wrist.  The nerves travel up through your shoulder into your back and neck.  Try better posture.  (Remember how they used to show Secretarial pool?  Everyone with a rod up their back.  Your mother was right -- Posture counts)
- Along the same lines... Sit square to your monitor.  If your monitor is off to the left or right of the keyboard you are twisting your neck and shoulders to look.  (If you cannot help this position, stretch to the opposite direction a few times a day.)
- Knees should be slightly about your seat.  If your feet are hanging or just your toes touching, lower your chair.

BigRoy

I've had wrist problems for a while (well, pinched nerves elsewhere actually...)

My lessons learned (as many above have commented on):

1) Don't lean on your wrists! (Esp. if you don't have a soft wrist rest)

2) If you are really on a deadline, take advil, not tylenol. (advil reduces inflamation. tylenol just hides the pain. You will pay double when the tylenol wears off)

3) Schedule wrist breaks. I use timer software called "oostime" which is free to use.

4) If you have trouble with your right wrist, try mousing lefty. Plus it can be easier to center your regular keys in front of your monitor. (mouse left, keypad right)

5) Don't stretch to reach faraway keys (e.g. backspace, ctrl); move your hands from the home row. On a standard keyboard, these can be very awkward positions.

Devil's Advocate

A related issue is something I experienced, pain in my right arm, specifically the shoulder and wrist. This was caused by something most people do, using your mouse way out in front of you. In other words, your right shoulder is pushed forward and is out of position when you use your mouse, often accompanied with lifting the elbow off the desk. Making a habit of keeping the mouse pad real close to me, and keeping the elbow as close to my hip as possible, cured the problem.

This was essentially a posture/ergonomic problem, and it took somebody else to point this out to me. You may think you are ergonomic, but perhaps you aren't.

Chris Welsh

What works for me is my keyboard and mouse collection.  I rotate every month or so.  I've picked them up at flea markets.  I was having some problems, but not anymore.  Carpal tunnel is caused by doing tiny repetitive motions over and over.  The switching seems to make just enough difference for me.

I have a few mice and two trackballs.  Three keyboards.

The coolest pointing device is a ring to wear on your index finger.  It has a scroll wheel and click buttons you work with your thumb.  Have to take it off to touch type, but it allows surfing without being hunched over the keyboard.  I want a mouse A/B switch.

Contrary Mary

Oh, and be careful about chiropractors and occasionally osteopaths.  There's some evidence that some of the manipulations they do can help, but there's also a lot of cases where chiropractors have killed their patients with unnecessary (especially neck) manipulations.

Flamebait Sr.

Wow, looks like a really popular thread... fortunately I haven't experienced a real carpal tunnel syndrome but did have annoying back and wrist pains occasionally. What I did to get rid of those --

1. Swopper.  No really, it's great! This stool trains your atrophied back muscles back into shape.  This is the #1 thing to do against back pains.

2. If you're already waking up with back pains something's wrong with your bed. Get a better bed with a decent latex mattress, preferably after taking a weight profile (good bed/mattress shops do that). Oh, and do try to walk wherever possible rather than driving -- walking is man's natural movement and loosens up the back musculature.

3. As for the wrist, sitting on the Swopper at the proper height already takes care of the leaning-on-the-elbows issue. Also, get wrist support pads to put in front of the keyboard and the mouse.  Ikea recently sold a set of those that's both cheap and very effective.

4. I can't type on "natural" keyboards, and QWERTY layout works just fine for me.  I'm a pretty fast touch typist, too. So while there may be individual factors, I wouldn't go crazy with keyboard experimentations right away. When the rest is right the keyboard shouldn't matter much.

5. Start weight training, including wrist training and stretching/flexibility exercises. Your posture will improve dramatically, and the higher your muscle strength and movement range, the better you can tolerate the occasional awkward position.  Pain and injuries are caused by overload relative to your current capabilities, not by a fixed amount of stress per se.

Weight training bible: http://www.hardgainer.com
(Yes, it looks like some snake oil salesman but it's not! Trust me, study the samples on the site... Stuart McRobert is the best authority for safe weight training.)

Chris Nahr

an mouse option is a program that "click"  for you, only a little difficult to use if you aren't very sufferer.

http://www.tomseddon.plus.com/mousetool/

http://www.mousetool.com/ergonomic-software-download.html

maybe courious at least.

Guillermo

Actually, 90% of the supposed explanations of carpal tunnel and other RSI injuries have nothing to do with so called "repetitive strain".  Our bodies are designed to move all day long.  It's sitting still that we can't deal with.

When you sit still all day, some muscles shorten (because they're hardly ever used at full extension), and others atrophy (because they're not used).

When you then need to do something like type, many of the muscles that *should* be assisting the function (e.g your shoulders, that should be holding your arms up), are too weak and have to use other muscles for assistance, and/or perform the movement in a suboptimal way.  The unnatural positioning then puts joints in a position where scraping or abrasion can occur.

Without the postural malfunction, the scraping doesn't occur.  The theory behind all the braces, "ergonomic keyboards" and all that other crap, is that they force you into a posture where the scraping doesn't occur.  And that works...  for a short time.  Meanwhile, a *new* set of muscles will then atrophy...  and suddenly the "ergonomic" stuff puts you into a new round of pain, because you're scraping something else.

Next thing you know, the doctor says you need surgery...  which will also work for a while.  And then something else goes - at which point you'll be told, well, don't use a keyboard any more.

After seeing a friend go through this, I only got as far as a wrist rest before I decided that I wasn't going to go down the same road.  Read Egoscue's books.  Do the exercises.

Or, if you prefer, just destroy your body one day at a time with pills and pads and surgery...  all of which are pure quackery because they don't solve the *real* problem.

Phillip J. Eby

While I agree that muscles atrophied by underuse are the fundamental problem with most computer-related pains, it's somewhat bizarre that you accuse pads, of all things, of contributing to this problem. Care to explain how resting your hand on a cushion instead of a hard desk surface is going to damage your muscles?

Chris Nahr

Might be worth a read:

http://www.stopinflammation.com/
http://www.stopinflammation.com/news_story.html

Interestingly, similar advice comes from "The Atkins Diet" which stresses low carbohydrates and vitamin/fiber supplements - although neither system seems to reference the other.

It may not be the answer to your specific problem, but I have seen others benefit from it.

buttering my bacon

Carpal tunnel is not the most common of the RSIs, and it tends to be over-diagnosed. Plus, people who have any kind of pain or numbness in their hands typically self-diagnose it as carpal tunnel syndrome rather than seeking expert medical attention.

Thoracic outlet syndrome (which I have) is much more common. I'm almost certain I got mine from using the mouse: all those tiny movements of my right arm caused my pec minor muscle to become so tight and strong that it pulled my shoulder forward, pinching the ulnar nerve and an artery. After 10 minutes or so at the computer my right hand would turn white and numb; other times it was just painful.

It was bad enough that I had to quit my job, and I went through two years of physical therapy and massage therapy. I used voice recognition software and switched the mouse to my left hand, and had six years of Alexander Technique lessons. I do streteching and strengthening exercises daily, and all of these things, either individually or in combination, have kept my injury under control.

Usually these injuries are permanent, and your main task is to keep the symptoms at bay.

As a number of other people have said, you should go to a doctor to get it properly diagnosed.

One very good book on this subject is Repetitive Strain Injury: A Computer User's Guide, by Deborah Quilter and Emil Pascarelli.

Brad

The braces and pads tend to do one of two things:

1) they support you in the right position, but now you're using fewer postural muscles, which then atrophy until something else starts scraping, moving the pain somewhere else, or

2) they keep you from doing the movement that was causing scraping, but just force you to move in a way that causes something else to scrape, and again, move the pain somewhere else.

It's not the hardness of the desk, it's the curve of your wrist.  With your hand flat, look at the concave part of your wrist.  Notice that curve?  Now bend your hand back.  The curve goes away.  Now put the curve on a wrist rest.  Is it somehow *not* going to flatten out when you use your hand?  If it doesn't still flatten out, the force moves elsewhere (e.g. top of your wrist).  All you've done is stick your arm on a fulcrum...  the same force is just going to go somewhere else.  If you don't have a functional posture, that "somewhere else" is just going to be a new RSI in-the-making.

Anyway, my point is not that these things won't help temporarily.  They do.  It's just that it's the kind of "help" that you don't want.  Sort of like skipping design and testing to get the project out the door faster.  It's deceptively attractive. 

But the consequences for your body are worse than for the software project.  You only get one body, and once you start cutting parts out of it, they're gone.  It's okay to use a brace - as long as you're exercising your way out of needing it.

I don't use wrist rests on my keyboard or mouse any more.  If I experience discomfort because I've been slacking off on my exercises, I take the hit/hint and *stop typing*.  I know that if I went back to using wrist rests, pretty soon I'd be slacking off more on the exercise, and pretty soon after that I'd be getting pains elsewhere.

Phillip J. Eby

I think we have a misunderstanding here. The pads I'm using are simply resting pads -- when I put down my hands in front of the keyboard I can conveniently rest the wrists on the cushion instead of overstretching them by putting them on the lower desk surface. Likewise, I can rest my right hand in-between mouse movement, rather than holding up the elbow at an unnatural position or again overstretching the wrist by putting it down on the desk.

I don't actually rest the wrists on the cushion while typing, that wouldn't work. I may or may not rest the right write on the mouse pad cushion while moving the mouse, depending on the move distance, but most of the time both my hands are on the keyboard anyway.

I found that these moments of comfortable rest practically eliminate any kind of stress symptoms that I had. I don't see what they have to do with strength training at all (which I'm also doing).

Chris Nahr

Okay, perhaps we are talking about different things, although I'm confused as to why resting your arms on the desk would flatten out the curve of your wrist.  I have to deliberately bend my hand back to flatten out that curve, but maybe that's just because I'm relatively healthy now.  Maybe when I was having problems, the curve could flatten out in a "relaxed" position.  I don't really remember.

Anyway, no, I'm not claiming that simply resting parts of your body on gadgets is going to cause problems.  I was referring to braces (e.g. splints) or rests that are used *while* continuing to type.

Of course, just resting isn't going to do anything to *help* either.  Better to get up, stretch, bend, and otherwise move around.  Or rotate the shoulders back, stretch arms overhead, etc.

Phillip J. Eby

wow, a thread where almost everyone agrees! the same book was reccomended twice, the same chair was reccomended twice.

one more thing: anti-inflamatories...
a) NSAIDs (ibuprofen, etc) can help you heal. start them when you start exercising, keep on them for a bit. don't use them as painkillers alone.

b) Ice. Easy. Effective. At the end of the day (that means no typing in places like this, at least for a while), ice down the affected area. cuts the inflamation and lets the body heal, just don't go using the area heavily for a bit after that.

mb
Thursday, August 21, 2003

I too have had a lot of problems with my wrists for the last 4 years or so.  At first I learned to use the mouse with my left hand, which (naturally) helped.  But eventually my left hand started getting numb too.  I also got a Natural Keyboard (which I *love*) and that helped.  I tried trackballs, wrist rests (which bother my wrists), and wrist braces prescribed by an orthopedic surgeon, none of which helped. 

Quite by accident, though, I stumbled on the perfect solution for me, which hasn't come up yet in this thread: wrist heating.  About two years ago I found a microwave-heatable pad about 3"x3" with an elastic strap.  It covers the flat part of my wrist really well, and is warm for about 20 minutes.  To be honest, I don't know why it helps so much, particularly since I would think that heat would make any inflammation worse, but the fact is it does.  The only days my wrists bother me at all are when I am too caught up in what I am doing to re-heat the pads every hour or so.  On the other hand, I think my problem is more poor circulation rather than carpal tunnel syndrome proper, since my hands get very cold at the computer (even in the middle of August).

Unfortunately for me, Futuro (the company that made them) has discontinued those pads and I have not been able to find anything similar. :(

Someone else suggested icing your wrists at night, which I've done.  It helps a lot when they hurt.  Also I stretch them by putting my palms together, fingers up (in a praying position), and lift my elbows up, which stretches out the tendons on the bottom of the wrist.  That helps a lot--when I first started doing that I could only bend my wrist backwards to 110 degrees (that is, not quite a right angle with my arm).  Now I can easily make an acute angle.

PS: First JOS post! Woo-hoo!

Douglas Clayton

A sit-stand table promotes movement during the day. I stand 2-3 hrs a day, in 30-45 minute blocks, while keyboarding or talking on the phone.

I use a Hag Credo chair as it also promotes movement. Avoid chairs with foam contours as they stifle movement.

Sitting on a saddle places your pelvis in a standing-like orientation and can alleviate a lot of back problems. The saddle chair is marketed out of Australia. See http://www.bambach.com.au/

Mike Sivertsen

Great thread, thanks for everybody's comments.

Hmm, this thread seems to have gone on for a few days and then vanished. 

Can anybody reading this suggest an ongoing forum on these topics?  In email, or a web forum.

If you know of such a forum and have a moment to contact me via email, I'd be very appreicative.

Thanks!

Phil Tanny
Friday, April 23, 2004

Hello everyone!!.. You've all been discussing Carpal Tunnel Treatment.. and I wish to have you read about it at the aboutcts.com website.  Julie Donnelly has developed a Carpal Tunnel Self Treatment System that WORKS..
There is a 25 minute VHS video to order which takes you through the basic steps, and you get a tool to do exercises with.  Try it.  It works.

Char Milbrett
Saturday, July 03, 2004

There is a new mouse that is a pistol grip shaped mouse with a tracking ball on the top that I have found to be quite easy to use.  I have carpal tunnel and arthritis and this workes great for me.      Here is the companies website address if you want to check it out. 
This mouse fits ergonomically correct in your hand.  The GameHandle is their Sony Playstation version for a ergonomic single hand held controller with all the functionality of a standard controller just easier to use and doesn't seem to cause much stress on the hands at all.  Thier mouse product is called the pchandle

http://ergological.com

Victoria Baker
Saturday, July 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home