Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

freeware lightweight image editor (windows)?

Can anyone make any recommendations?  I just need basic cut, paste, normalize, draw boxes, basic filters, etc.  Photoshop would be way overkill.

I have IrfanView, but that is a little TOO lightweight.  There doesn't seem to be a good way to copy part of an image into another image (it doesn't have an MDI interface as far as I can tell).

Does GIMP work well on Windows?  I've never used it, and I went to the web site and it seemed a little fishy, some comments about crashes with certain PC hardware configurations.

Andy
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I've used the Windows port of gimp without having any trouble, but its UI can be pretty intimidating -- it certainly doesn't *look* lightweight, and its startup time is not inconsistent with that impression.

Daryl Oidy
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I've used GIMP as a cheap alternative to Photoshop when preparing CD inlay covers. The main criticism of the Window version is that it's so slow, especially when cut and pasting large areas around between layers.

Better Than Being Unemployed...
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

The standard low-cost image editor on Windows is Paintshop Pro ( http://www.jasc.com ).  It's not free but the download edition is only US$84 and should do pretty much everything you need.  Haven't used the last couple of versions as I didn't need such software, though.

Chris Nahr
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

May be ImageMagic?

dk
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I second the motion for paintshop pro.

anony125
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I tried GIMP and it seemed "very beta" to me.

I also tried Paint Shop Pro, and it was excellent.

John Woo
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

i'm very happy with Photoshop Elements.

nathan
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I use GIMP on Windows.  It's pretty ugly and it takes forever to learn where everything is, but it's powerful enough that I don't need any other tool.

Alyosha`
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I have used Paint Shop Pro (jasc software) for a few years now and recommend it wholeheartedly.  Its value greatly exceeds its cost, and its learning curve isn't that steep.

I'm trying to learn Gimp, but I'm finding its learning curve to be pretty steep.

PSP gets my vote.

van pelt
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I'm a big big fan of Photoshop. I've been using it for years, and I can't imagine using anything else. I've gotten to the point where I feel like I can do *anything* with photoshop.

Having said that, though, I've used the Windows port of GIMP before, and I was impressed by how powerful it is. Essentially, anything you can do in photoshop, you can do in GIMP, and it's free. Also very cool is the fact that you can write scripts for GIMP (using scheme, perl, tcl, or python) to automate your drawing workflow. Admittedly, you can write scripts for Photoshop (using AppleScript, JavaScript, or Visual Basic) but the GIMP exposes a LOT more of its object model for scripting than photoshop does, so you can accomplish more using GIMP scripting than you can with Photoshop scripting. If that's your thing.

The one caveat (and its a huge caveat) is that the GIMP interface is the most god-awful software UI that I have ever seen, bar none. The GIMP launches with boxes and windows and palettes everywhere, and it takes a lot longer to learn how to use the GIMP than it takes to learn the same tasks in Photoshop (which is no cakewalk either).I, personally, would really like to see a GIMP branch that uses a Multiple Document Interface (like Photoshop) and emulates more of the look-and-feel of photoshop.

Anyhow, if your available price range is between $0 and FREE, I'd recommend using the GIMP, but prepare for a steep learning curve. If, on the other hand, you're willing to spend a hundred bucks, get Photoshop Elements. It'll probably suit your needs. Of course, if you have no ethics, just get a bootleg version of the full version of Photoshop.

I'd like to use the GIMP more, but I just can't bring myself to learn its weird UI when I already know photoshop so well.

Benji Smith
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions... I think I will check out PSP, since the $84 is probably worth a few hours of my time saved messing with GIMP.

Any suggestions of something even more lightweight than PSP would be welcome.  I think I have some free Adobe PhotoDeluxe software that came with my digital camera, but that probably only does filters and stuff and not any drawing.

Andy
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I've been using Photoshop Elements 2.0 for a few months.  Although marketed towards digicam ownders, it offers most of what full Photoshop contains except for some 'super-pro' things like CYMK color management / pre-press.  It's $99, often less with rebates.

Dave Torok
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

I agree that Photoshop Elements is a better deal than PaintShop Pro.

....for what it's worth....

Benji Smith
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Can Photoshop Elements manipulate vectors? just curious...

Leonardo Herrera
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

What about plain ol' Paintbrush?

Atuch
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

The Corel Draw suite has a limited edition (I believe it's basically version 9.0) that ships for about the same price as Paintshop Pro.

Stephen Jonesa
Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Thanks for the recommendation of PSP guys... been using it for a few days now and it seems like a totally solid piece of software, with a very nice interface.  It's really hard to make a good interface for such a large program, but they did an excellent job.

Andy
Friday, August 22, 2003

You can find free graphics software on
http://www.etrusoft.com
Screen Capture software, free graphic converter

Qliver
Monday, September 01, 2003

Pixia's freeware and pretty decent considering
the price:

http://park18.wakwak.com/~pixia/   

Also consider this on PSP:

http://channels.lockergnome.com/windows/backissues/20030512.phtml