Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

PDC?

Before I hit my boss up for $2k out of the training budget, I'd like to know if you guys think Microsoft's PDC is a worthwhile trip to make for a VB/ASP.NET web developer.

Well?

Not Joel Spolsky
Monday, August 18, 2003

for learning - no.
for networking - if the boss pays, yes, otherwise no

Monday, August 18, 2003

I'm not sure what you're asking.. If you want a domain controller to play w/, some of the MS books come w/ a 180 day license (I think).  That's what I did while I was getting my MCSE.

Make sure its walled off from the rest of your network or it _could_ cause problems.

Sorry if I  misread your post..

Lee
Monday, August 18, 2003

PDC = Platform Developer's Conference

no?

Ankur
Monday, August 18, 2003

Ditto on the networking vs. learning thing - if you're talking about really learning stuff, then the $2k would be better spent on a hardware PDC (your own server) or MSDN Universal, if you don't already have it.

Philo

Philo
Monday, August 18, 2003

PDC in his question refers to Professional Developers Conference, not Primary Domain Controller.

Myself, I've never been but I'm curious as well.

AEB
Monday, August 18, 2003

If I had the chance to go, I'd jump at it just to learn about what's coming with  Longhorn and Whidbey.

John Topley (wwwljohntopley.com)
Monday, August 18, 2003

Sorry to be all ambiguous, but yeah, PDC = Pro. Dev. Conference.. in this case, anyway.

Basically, I'd be spending someone else's money, and I've already got access to MSDN Universal and all that good stuff.  What I guess I really want to know is, would I wind up feeling like I'd wasted a week of my life (and my training budget)?

If so, where would *you* spend the $2k?

Not Joel Spolsky
Monday, August 18, 2003

Given the huge number of crap courses and bad instructors out there, if I was going to get some training, I'd make sure it was worth my time.

Developmentor is very good, Sun is not bad, otherwise I'd use the PDC as a paid vacation :)

dude
Monday, August 18, 2003

PDC is not a training event. It's a "learn about the mid-future products of Microsoft, and go home with CDs so you can use them, too" event. The things you get from there will not be available to the general developer community for some time.

If you are the person who plays with future technologies and then makes the decisions about what and when to use, then PDC can have some very valuable information. Additionally, you'll be able to get to the people writing the actual code, so you may also walk about with some excellent contacts.

If you just want to go to go, then don't bother. L.A. kinda sucks. :-p

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, August 18, 2003

If you need Yukon (The next generation of SQL) or Whidbey then go. It's the ONLY way you'll get beta copies now until next year sometime.  (Certainly of Yukon)
I suspect VERY strongly they'll be giving them out at this conference.

Peter Ibbotson
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

It's already been confirmed that they will be giving out copies of Whidbey (Visual Studio v.Next), Yukon (SQL Server v.Next) and Longhorn (consumer Windows v.Next).

However, it's rumored that the version of Longhorn they're giving out may be sans some of the eye candy, perhaps sans the managed shell completely (which I think would be a mistake, but that's just me).

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

More information about the conference:

Microsoft Professional Developers Conference 2003
October 26–30, 2003, Los Angeles, CA
http://msdn.microsoft.com/events/pdc/

'The Microsoft Professional Developers conference has always been the premier venue for the unveiling of new technologies from Microsoft. PDC 2003 will give attendees the opportunity to get an up close look at the code behind previously unreleased software such as Microsoft Windows "Longhorn," SQL Server "Yukon," Visual Studio "Whidbey," and others—with the developers who wrote the code.'

Philip Dickerson
Tuesday, August 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home